Why become a member? ×

How big of an amp/cab do I need?

Iheartreverb

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1432018448' post='2777205']
In my gigging experience with 4 & 5-piece Rock/pop covers bands I've never found a 2x10 to be enough. 2x12 are fine.

I've tried 15s that claim to sound like 4x10s, 12s that claim to sound like 4x10s and guess what I'm back to using? 4x10 or more like two 2x10s.

You can't go wrong with a 4x10 in my opinion.
[/quote]

Kind of agree. especially as the OP doesn't seem to have a wide experience of cabs.
A 410 or 212 will be the cheaper options..second hand, as lightweight in 2x210 and 2x112 tend to carry a premium
You might find a 115 satisfies your needs but I'd keep an eye out for SH but not hammered old stuff...depends on your budget

+1

I used to have 2 Berg AE210's, and as each cab was larger than half of an AE410, when put together they were awesome. Better tone and more volume than any 410 I've tried (I had the AE410 for awhile) and they could be used separately.

I love modular rigs, but I hardly ever gigged 1 cab and in the end everything was sold in favour of the smaller package of my Berg CN212.

If the OP doesn't know what he needs then I'd suggest starting with a good 212 and progress from there, or not. A 212 might just tick all the boxes. For me "half of a 300 watt" amp isn't that loud, so I use a 500 watt amp and a 212. You can play amps and cabs at low volume and they'll still sound good but they'll sound pretty bad when you try to turn them up too far, so IMO you always need something in reserve for a good tone at what ever volume you want/need to play at.

I've always relied on a 4x10. My personal taste prefers the punchier tone of a 10" to a 12".

I've got a Marshal MBC410 on Castors which I think is on the heavy side (not lifted many other cabs). But TBH I'm 5'6", have never set foot inside a gym, and have no trouble at all lifting it in and out of the car.

It's always given my plenty of headroom, especially for those dodgy gigs where you arrive and find out there's no option of putting the bass through the PA.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432905180' post='2786093']
I've got an Orange terror SP 2x12 combo and a matching extension cab for sale in the 'amps and cabs for sale' section. That would do the trick... Either a 2x12 or a 4x12 combination.. And it's very portable....
[/quote]

Yeah I've lusted over it many times! Unfortunately I don't have the money at the moment. I asked the question to narrow down what I'm looking at and plan how much I need to save/spend. Would love that rig though!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1432974160' post='2786646']
Yeah I've lusted over it many times! Unfortunately I don't have the money at the moment. I asked the question to narrow down what I'm looking at and plan how much I need to save/spend. Would love that rig though!
[/quote]

Well if are budget constrained and want the absolute maximum volume level per £ then I would suggest one of these [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-410-tvx-ex-4-ohms/17430"]http://www.gak.co.uk...ex-4-ohms/17430[/url] honestly you will never need more volume than this is capable of even with a relatively modest amp but it is a total beast to move about coming in at over 100lbs in weight[i] [edit - I see in the small print its discontinued but a 4x10 from a "cheap" brand is the way to go for volume on a budget][/i]. You could save even more cash by going 2nd hand and I see that there are currently two peavey 2x10's on ebay and you could likely bag the pair of them and have change from £200.

I still stand by my first replay that a single well chosen well powered smallish cab is loud enough for anything but that answer was made from a money-no-object perspective.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1432976000' post='2786669']

Well if are budget constrained and want the absolute maximum volume level per £ then I would suggest one of these [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-410-tvx-ex-4-ohms/17430"]http://www.gak.co.uk...ex-4-ohms/17430[/url] honestly you will never need more volume than this is capable of even with a relatively modest amp but it is a total beast to move about coming in at over 100lbs in weight[i] [edit - I see in the small print its discontinued but a 4x10 from a "cheap" brand is the way to go for volume on a budget][/i]. You could save even more cash by going 2nd hand and I see that there are currently two peavey 2x10's on ebay and you could likely bag the pair of them and have change from £200.

I still stand by my first replay that a single well chosen well powered smallish cab is loud enough for anything but that answer was made from a money-no-object perspective.
[/quote]

Thanks for the good advice. I'm not really in a hurry to buy. If I was then some cheap peavey stuff would be close to the top of the list, I've used them in rehearsal rooms and served me fine.
I really asked the question to define more what I need so I knew what I needed to spend. As long as band situation carries on as is then I will have plenty of time to save for the right thing, now I know what that is.

Just off the wall... for a 4ohm one-cab solution I present the Schroeder 21012L for your consideration.[list]
[*]2 X 10" Neo Drivers
[*]1 X 12" Neo Driver mounted on angled baffle
[*]200W Tweeter with adjustable attenuator
[*]1 X Speakon and 1 X 6.3mm jack inputs
[*]1000W RMS @ 4ohms
[*]49lb (22kg)
[*]23.5 X 23.5 X 16" (60 X 60 X 40 cm)
[/list]
It's a bit like a very light, 2-foot square 8X10. I've never been able to reach its limits, even with huge amounts of power going through it. And it sounds fantastic. It will fill [i]any [/i]room with big, big bass. Sounds killer with my GB MB500 Fusion.

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1432986305' post='2786781']
Thanks for the good advice. I'm not really in a hurry to buy. If I was then some cheap peavey stuff would be close to the top of the list, I've used them in rehearsal rooms and served me fine.
I really asked the question to define more what I need so I knew what I needed to spend. As long as band situation carries on as is then I will have plenty of time to save for the right thing, now I know what that is.
[/quote]

No worries, it all boils down to being a size/weight vs cost tradeoff. At the cheap end any 4x10 moreorless will do the job but you can go down to a 1x12 / 2x10 if you have sufficient cash and spend it wisely.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432987238' post='2786789']
Just off the wall... for a 4ohm one-cab solution I present the Schroeder 21012L for your consideration.[list]
[*]2 X 10" Neo Drivers
[*]1 X 12" Neo Driver mounted on angled baffle
[*]200W Tweeter with adjustable attenuator
[*]1 X Speakon and 1 X 6.3mm jack inputs
[*]1000W RMS @ 4ohms
[*]49lb (22kg)
[*]23.5 X 23.5 X 16" (60 X 60 X 40 cm)
[/list]
It's a bit like a very light, 2-foot square 8X10. I've never been able to reach its limits, even with huge amounts of power going through it. And it sounds fantastic. It will fill [i]any [/i]room with big, big bass. Sounds killer with my GB MB500 Fusion.
[/quote]

Sounds a very interesting cab... don't see too many about tho.
They may be a discerning secret...?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1433070734' post='2787459']
They may be a discerning secret...?
[/quote]

Wasn't too long ago when they were cropping up but we've now moved onto the 12" period of bass goodness. :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1433070734' post='2787459']
They may be a discerning secret..?
[/quote]

It's true they don't come up for sale very often which tells you something, yes. I still look at basses and amps, but I know I'm not going to find a better one-cab solution.

It's even better (for me) than my two Bill Fitzmaurice J12s with 12" Kappalites, which is saying a very great deal. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1433071029' post='2787463']
Wasn't too long ago when they were cropping up but we've now moved onto the 12" period of bass goodness. :)
[/quote]

Well of course the 21012L is fitted with a 12" driver... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1433077588' post='2787564']
He doesn't seem to make these cabs any more. All his current models are front firing speakers.
[/quote]

I'm guessing it's cheaper and less of a pain to have the drivers on a front baffle. He's managed to do it and yet only have the cabs slightly larger than the angled baffle cab. I suppose Schroeder are a bit Marmite - works for me. I think they're well worth auditioning though.

Edited by discreet

I had a Schroeder 410L a while back, with the 2 angled 10's and 2 front firing. Great cab but was swayed by the Basschat "flavour of the month" to try a different setup. It's taken a few years and a few different setups but I'm back to the 4x10 again. Funny thing, progress!