Why become a member? ×

TC cabs.........how do you stack yours??

barneyg42

So as per my picture I stack my 2x10 on top of my 2x12 end on, as I have no PA support I'm cranked up to project out to the massed throngs in the Dog and Dinnerplate most weekends so of course get quite an earful of myself when playing a tight area. I'm going to experiment laying them side on side at the next gig.
How do you stack yours? And how does it sound?

I have the 410 and 212, and like you, no PA support, rarely use both, but had to last few weekends, I tried standing the 212 vertical on top of the 410 to get some height, but sounded a mess to me, so went for flat ontop giving a two across, three down arrangement, sounded much better to me. I have been thinking about getting another 212 and stacking like you do, and dumping the 410, but to be honest, the 410 is cool for most gigs, and has wheels on, so another plus there!!

I have a BH550 and take it everywhere with me... gigs with shared backlines, rehearsal rooms etc.

If I'm playing with PA support, I generally just take one BC210 cab with me and stand it vertically. Without PA support, I take my other BC210 along too - and stack them vertically like you do. I gigged once with them stacked horizontally - to me it sounded deeper, but then again I've never played that same venue with them stacked vertically, so could just have been the room.

I asked a very similar question a couple of months ago, and got some truly mind bendingly good info back.... check the thread out in general discussions..... To Stack or not to stack..... (Add the word Ashdown, and it will appear on the first page) Get ready for a brilliant science lesson...

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1431889881' post='2775985']
2x10" with BH500 for practising and a 2x12" in the wardrobe gathering dust as it way loud enough with just one cab...
[/quote]
Wow, I must be in the wrong band, I use the BH500 into the 4x10 AND the 2x12, and struggle to be heard in large venues sometimes!!!!

I had a TC rig, 212 with 210 on top (used them Horizontal and Vertically)

The band before us used me rig once and I went into the crowd, was very impressed how solid the bass was (it wasnt in PA , 150 in a hall)

That was a few years back , got Markbass GAS, but there really was no reason to change, it was an awesome rig

To be fair, I was being flippant, I only run the volume at about 4/10 so plenty left in the tank, and when you're two feet from the cab you're not going to hear much over the drums, last gig people actually commented on how big and powerful the bass sounded!! Can't understand how people get by with just a 212 or 210 though.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1431961819' post='2776632']
To be fair, I was being flippant, I only run the volume at about 4/10 so plenty left in the tank, and when you're two feet from the cab you're not going to hear much over the drums, last gig people actually commented on how big and powerful the bass sounded!! Can't understand how people get by with just a 212 or 210 though.
[/quote]

Maybe you're playing bigger venues than I am?
I had a gig at a smallish pub last week, and was told the backline was provide by the venue. I took my amp and 210 just in case!
When I got there, the bass amp was a tiny Warwick combo (1x8 I'm sure!) sat on top of a PA cab. Not for me at all, so I used my own.

The rest of the band had PA support (even the kick and snare were mic'd), but the sound guy ran out of channels, so the bass was on its own. Volume was at a max of 50% and it was fine throughout. I also let the other two bands use my amp, so I heard it from front of house too.

My lineup is vocals, drums, 2 x guitar and one person swapping between violin and keyboard.

Edited by geoham

Oh yes, sounds a bit different, we do hard rock covers including Motorhead and Metallica ( along with less angry stuff ) and have two guitars, one with a 100w Marshall into a 4x12 and the other with an Engl valve amp into a 2x12 which is face meltingly loud!!
This will be my last rock band I think, even though I love it, fancy something quieter next time, in a few years...!!!!