Why become a member? ×

Too Many Notes.

bubinga5

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1431771591' post='2774768']
I get bored of this genre quite quickly nowadays. I used to be quite into it, but after a while all these bands sound exactly the same. The songs sound the same, the sound of the group, etc. It's just a bit formulaic. It could be Jamiroquai, Incognito etc etc. Just with a different vocalist.....who all sing the same kind of melodies. I kind of feel the same about reggae.
[/quote]

we do a cover of their cover of midnight/oasis - i can quite see the point of too many notes as it can get a bit busy

imho with this sort of funk genre once you get into the groove and start shaking your bootay it is very very easy to 'hear the space for excessive note insertion' but you must resist the temptation to yield

hope this helps :D

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431774190' post='2774815']
let me start again. sorry about my post. wasn't what i intended LS. as for my OP. i was talking about a guy in with the best intentions. its ok to have an opinion about someone, without it the dreaded "criticise" word coming into it.
[/quote]

No problem, and fair enough! :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431769712' post='2774740']
which post made you feel uncomfortable and sad,? anyways no probs buddy. :D
[/quote]
This one

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431763790' post='2774668']
not so spot on when he's hitting the right note but on on the wrong time/drums at the start. intricate bass playing over a Key's solo.? its too much. give other musicians some space. he's not listening to the drummer either in parts. just my OP
[/quote]

The original post was fine from a critique of the style. When it just gets to be highlighting someones timing issues it saddens me.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1431776016' post='2774832']
This more my kind of thing with regards to funky, 16th note machine gunning! Ass kicking, exciting. The song, not just the bass playing!

[media]http://youtu.be/tdZZt9jd6v0[/media]
[/quote]that is very cool.! Maceo Parker on sax. nice one Lord Sausage. made my afternoon.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1431776592' post='2774839']
This one

The original post was fine from a critique of the style. When it just gets to be highlighting someones timing issues it saddens me.
[/quote]jeez. is it that bad to call someones timing.? i can't see a problem. i could take it on the chin if my timing is out. i haven't offended his family bud.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431767731' post='2774718']
im a little surprised that know one can hear the drumming and where he places his first notes. never mind. i guess his busy bass lines are not to my taste. it would be boring if we all liked the same thing. :D
[/quote]

I would suggest that there's no 'timing error' here, he's simply chosen to play the 'back beat', rather than the bass drum. A choice, not an error. A wise choice or not is another matter. I listened to the original 'live', posted above, and the bass is very low in the mix compared to this 'cover'. As a play-over, it's not at all ridiculous (imo...), just mixed differently compared to a live concert. No big deal, the fellow's just playing his bass his way. I certainly wouldn't slate the bloke. B)
Just sayin'.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431788747' post='2775029']
why would you want to play a bass note on the 2, when the drummer is playing on the 1.? don't get me wrong i guess anything is possible, but why.? especially when the rest of his playing seems follow suit to the rest of the record.
[/quote]

Just a choice, that's all. As I said, maybe not the best, but is it that rare to play the back-beat..? He's playing in his bedroom, chilling out to a track, that's all. Give a listen to Jack Casady; he's very often on the back foot; here's one in which he cunningly slips into the back beat during the song (not too many notes, either; there's basically just two..!)...

[url="http://youtu.be/O8M1oNgWhtk"]http://youtu.be/O8M1oNgWhtk[/url]

Edited by Dad3353

I enjoyed his work. It sounded quite like it fit the groove though it was a bit too busy in the piano solo. The bass was a little too "out front" of the rest of the music but I guess that was necesssary to hear exactly what the player was doing on the video.