Why become a member? ×

Gonna get all scientific on yo' ass ..

Happy Jack

Just in case, here's the abstract. I love this sort of thing.

[b] Abstract[/b]
[color=#333132][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
In modern societies, cultural change seems ceaseless. The flux of fashion is especially obvious for popular music. While much has been written about the origin and evolution of pop, most claims about its history are anecdotal rather than scientific in nature. To rectify this, we investigate the US Billboard Hot 100 between 1960 and 2010. Using music information retrieval and text-mining tools, we analyse the musical properties of approximately 17 000 recordings that appeared in the charts and demonstrate quantitative trends in their harmonic and timbral properties. We then use these properties to produce an audio-based classification of musical styles and study the evolution of musical diversity and disparity, testing, and rejecting, several classical theories of cultural change. Finally, we investigate whether pop musical evolution has been gradual or punctuated. We show that, although pop music has evolved continuously, it did so with particular rapidity during three stylistic ‘revolutions’ around 1964, 1983 and 1991. We conclude by discussing how our study points the way to a quantitative science of cultural change.[/font][/color]

"We show that, although pop music has evolved continuously, it did so with particular rapidity during three stylistic ‘revolutions’ around 1964, 1983 and 1991."

Err...did they miss the Punk revolution in 1977?? and what happened in 1983 that was so "revolutionary"??

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1431359600' post='2770456']
and what happened in 1983 that was so "revolutionary"??
[/quote]

[media]http://youtu.be/1gwHMjYuk1w[/media]

Edit: it says 1982 but it was number one in 1983! :P

Edited by ras52

"We show that, although pop music has evolved continuously, it did so with particular rapidity during three stylistic ‘revolutions’ around 1964, 1983 and 1991."

Err...did they miss the Punk revolution in 1977?? and what happened in 1983 that was so "revolutionary"??
[/quote]

Their point is that Punk was not actually revolutionary in musical terms ... it was broadly the same as what was there before only played much faster and badly.

1983 was pretty much the point at which all my friends stopped playing real instruments and started buying sequencers and Apple computers.

[/quote]

They missed the Punk Revolution because the study's about the USA and draws its stats from the Billboard Top 100, wherein punk left not so much as a trace.

As for what happened in 1983, I have no idea. I was around at the time but I was very, very drunk.

Edited by skankdelvar

Remember this is an academic analysis, so 1964 the change is not the Beatles but a shift to Major chord structures and the disappearance of 'bright' singing. 1983 is the arrival of synths and gated effect drums and 1991 is rap/rave dance music. The most samey year comes out as 1986.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1431359334' post='2770453']
I loved the footnote to the analysis of 'Bohemian Rhapsody': '... one of the few Hot 100 hits to feature an Astrophysicist on lead guitar..'.

Who says scientists have no sense of humour? :lol:
[/quote]

Quite. They've even included The Pet Shop Boys in an analysis of music. What scamps!