Why become a member? ×

Chinese Fodera Inspired Copy **FINISHED PICS**

mrn1989

So Ive seen a few posts about them and I was so curious I thought id get one plus I would never be able to afford a genuine one unless a lottery win landed in my lap :P

I didn't see the point in it being a straight ripoff by having a badly made Fodera logo so I have made my own which Ive not been charged extra for.

Its probably gonna play like a pig but I like a good project so I don't mind too much, heres a pic of what it should hopefully look like.

Im guessing it won't be 15-20 days until I physically see it but the guy send he would send me some pics when its made so I will update with progress for those interested

************************************************************************************

UPDATE

Finished pics in thread

Edited by mrn1989

Hmmm, I guess the body shape is reminiscent of the Imperial shape, but that's about it. Headstock is totally different, pickups are in an interesting position (not seen a Fodera with that layout before....I assume because no-ones asked for it), control layout is different.
Hopefully it's a nice bass for you though :)

Also, doesn't the new logo look like the Mayones logo? ;)

Si

Yea I'm not trying to pass it off as anything, il probably chuck more money in parts at it than the cost of it but I like tinkering.

:( I just picked my first initial and scrolled through my fonts to New Berolina MT and liked it, bums. It's definately an M but totally different font to the one they've used.

I may strip it down and give it a satin finish, not sure yet, I expect the pickups and wiring to be crap but it's ok

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1431348980' post='2770229']

Also, doesn't the new logo look like the Mayones logo? ;)

Si
[/quote]

Quite different :P

Comparison

[url="http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y382/mikeoranage/Comparison_zpsodashgxs.png"]http://i1272.photobu...zpsodashgxs.png[/url]

Edited by mrn1989

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1431350995' post='2770271']
How much ?
[/quote]

£250 free delivery, but there will be taxes and import costs of £20 - £80 when it hits the UK

Edited by mrn1989

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1431352018' post='2770311']
So what kind of options did you have when you ordered this bar the logo?
[/quote]

I believe you can specify whatever you want, they are made to order

I was offered a maple neck with block inlays but chose the rosewood with dots

Edited by mrn1989

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1431352081' post='2770313']
I believe you can specify whatever you want, they are made to order

I was offered a maple neck with block inlays but chose the rosewood with dots
[/quote]

Cool!

[quote name='Me And My Bass' timestamp='1431352497' post='2770324']
Do they have more examples of there page? Whats the site?
[/quote]

+1

It's certainly ugly enough to pass for a Fodera :-)

At that price I wonder if they'll actually use a burled wood top or if it's just a pattern printed on?

I'm interested to see what it's like when you actually get it.

[quote name='Me And My Bass' timestamp='1431352497' post='2770324']
Do they have more examples of there page? Whats the site?
[/quote]

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1431352737' post='2770332']
Cool!

+1
[/quote]

Thats the tricky bit, some of the sellers show in the ads are authentic guitars to draw you in, your better off asking for pictures of what your gonna get. And pay by credit card, the website has payment protection but just to be double safe.

AliExpress is the site but they seller I'm using is

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/337294

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1431353282' post='2770338']
It's certainly ugly enough to pass for a Fodera :-)

At that price I wonder if they'll actually use a burled wood top or if it's just a pattern printed on?

I'm interested to see what it's like when you actually get it.
[/quote]

Haha :D

I will take some decent pics and maybe do a video of tones so you get an idea when it arrives

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1431355828' post='2770378']
I'd never have the balls to order anything directly from China.
[/quote]

I've had loads of stuff directly from China (via eBay usually) and have had no problems and only experienced from good to excellent value for money.

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1431351773' post='2770301']
£250 free delivery, but there will be taxes and import costs of £20 - £80 when it hits the UK
[/quote]

Seems to me the import duty, VAT and handling fees will be £80 minimum. I reckon you need to be mentally (and financially) prepared for something around £100.

P

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1431420817' post='2771002']

Seems to me the import duty, VAT and handling fees will be £80 minimum. I reckon you need to be mentally (and financially) prepared for something around £100.

P
[/quote]

Yes I'm prepared, sometimes it's less sometimes it's more depends how the class it on the declaration too, you never know

[quote name='Taa' timestamp='1431434116' post='2771263']
Friend of mine has one of those Chinese Fodera copies, well it's of course not a Fodera but a good bass for £250 though.
[/quote]

Cool, did he do anything to it or swap parts or pups etc?

It certainly will be interesting to see what turns up. For £250 including postage, it's difficult to see how the wood or parts are going to be anything other than average quality. I assume they're CNC machined, again, difficult to believe anything hand built could be had that cheap, wherever it is in the world.
That said, those Sires seem to be getting very good reviews, and they are probably built in the same way.

Of course, all that matters is that you like it, and it plays well for you! :)

Si

I'm certainly interested to see how this turns out. I've browsed alixepress a few times and wondered what sort of quality you'll end up with.

Hope you get a good bass out of it, or as youve said, at least a good platform for modding.

Good luck man! :)

Edited by Subbeh