Why become a member? ×

The Prince B Sides..

bubinga5

i can't deny I'm such a fan of this master musician. been listening to a lot of stuff, that was never that popular at the time of release. but in my opinion, it was some of his best.. very tricky to find stuff on YT, for his personal reasons of course. but these tracks just blow me away. there are so many more.

he doesn't always hit the mark,it must be very difficult over so many years to be consistent .. But when he does, its quite a record. ,I'm amazed at how many songs he has written.

a couple of older B Side masterpieces. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQvPk0L6gGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekcc2L9E_hc

Annoyingly not on iplayer currently, but cracking BBC radio documentary last month - Hunting for Princes Vault.
Gave credence to what I'd always thought was an exaggerated urban myth, the huge archives of release ready material that's never seen the light of day. Partly explains why his B sides are so good.

I'll second the view on Alexa De Paris; it's wonderful. And nice to see someone else compare his playing with FZ. I'm a huge fan of both and have for a long time thought the same rather than the usual comparisons with Hendrix which you read about.

Back to the b sides, if you can find them, check out the full length versions of;

Shockadelica
La la la, he he hee

B sides to If I Was Your Girlfriend and Sign O The Times respectively. La la la, He he hee even has a bass solo..., played by Prince..., but only on the full length version!

The extended versions of Raspberry Beret and Mountains in particular are also well worth seeking out.

17 Days, the flip to When Doves Cry, I think is fantastic and She's Always In My Hair, b side to Paisley Park is possibly my favourite Prince song but then there are so many to choose from.

In summary then; if you're in a record store and see a Prince 12". Buy it!

[quote name='mike f' timestamp='1430833682' post='2764997']
I'll second the view on Alexa De Paris; it's wonderful. And nice to see someone else compare his playing with FZ. I'm a huge fan of both and have for a long time thought the same rather than the usual comparisons with Hendrix which you read about.[/quote]
Alexa de Paris has a real Sheik Yerbouti era Zappa feel/tone, and he does it without sounding derivative. I (sort of) understand the Hendrix comparisons but there's so much more going on.

I saw him on the Lovesexy tour in 1988 and it was a bit of a disappointment. There was just [i]too [/i]much going on - circular stage, park swings, basketball courts, huge beds (!)

Goes without saying he had an amazing band but the set included a number of medleys, which just didn't the songs justice and ended up being neither once thing or another.

Of all his tours I really wished I'd seen him on the Parade tour..

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1430948735' post='2766318']
I saw him on the Lovesexy tour in 1988 and it was a bit of a disappointment.
[/quote]

That's one tour I wish I had been to see, Some of it was shown on C4 back in the day and although it's well OTT it's a good watch.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1430982921' post='2766449']
That's one tour I wish I had been to see, Some of it was shown on C4 back in the day and although it's well OTT it's a good watch.
[/quote]
Was that from the Channel 4 programme 'Wired' (as I think it was called)? Opened with Alphabet Street whilst sitting in the back of a car?! (the car being a stage prop rather a real car).

A concert from the Parade tour was shown on TV once upon a time back in the 80s and it was fantastic (recorded on Prince's birthday - crowd singing happy birthday to him etc). The live version of Mountains was as funky as you could possibly get. Him and the Revolution were right on top of their game. Never seen it since as a video/DVD release or on YouTube, more's the pity.

Edit #2 to say, just found this... the Parade concert shown on TV in the 80s - not the whole gig but some fabulous moments in there [url="http://www.okayplayer.com/news/throwback-thursday-prince-live-in-detroit-19.html"]http://www.okayplayer.com/news/throwback-thursday-prince-live-in-detroit-19.html[/url]

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1431029395' post='2767178']
Was that from the Channel 4 programme 'Wired' (as I think it was called)?
[/quote]

That's the one, I've got a wobbly copy of it I transferred from the VHS video recording I did at the time.

I'll have a look at that Parade link once I've got some work out of the way :)