Why become a member? ×

90s Fender Japan '57 reissue Precision Bass

originalfunkbrother

Not tried the '57 reissue specifically,
But I've heard they are pretty good

I don't know the BC'er selling this, but there's one for sale on here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260513-fender-51-p-bass-reissue-mij-butterscotch-blonde/page__hl__fender+japan__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Could check it out....
EDIT: Though this is a '51 from the description....

I recently played a Fender Japan P in a shop (though not a 57 - think it was a 70's reissue)
It certainly felt and sounded like a really nice bass
I was sorely tempted, and it looked absolutely stunning too
with maple board & block inlays
Seemed a superb quality instrument

I played another JapanFender P a couple of years back,
and a Japan built Jazz. They all seemed to be top quality basses to me
I've heard folk say that the electrics and screening are better in Japan Fenders
though I don't know this for sure myself....

Good luck with your search
and let us know what you decide :)

Edited by Marc S

Acquired a 70s reissue Japanese P recently. It doesn't have the original electronics so can't comment on them but the build and feel is excellent. Comparing to a Mexican jazz my Japanese P has a more playable neck. It also looks stunning and just generally is reassuringly heavy and robust, including on the tuners. Grab one while you can!

I had one and used it as my main bass for years. Some find the neck profile (wider and flatter) a little unusual but it is a subtle difference that you don't notice if you play a lot. I thought it was one of the best instruments I'd ever owned (& I've owned a few!)

This is mine. It was made in 2004 I think. I changed out the pickups for fender vintage 58s, put in a kiogon wiring loom with cts pots and put some la bella flats on it. It's a nice piece of wood that is very well put together and it sounds like the real deal to me.

Yea I had a 94 Mij 57 reissue. Really felt fantastic to play. If I was going to get another I think I would go for a 60s or 70s because The 57 Was just on the wrong side of what I'm used to in terms of string spacing. If you only play precision and stingrays it's probably fine but if you switch between wide and narrow spacing, the 57 was a smidge too wide.

I have one. Made in 91 I think. I swapped out the original pickup for a bareknuckle as the original wasn't the best, but it's a very resonant and musical sounding bass. try before you buy, as they aren't all the same. But they're made well and for the price you can't go far wrong.