Why become a member? ×

Multitrack recorders??

bubinga5

I have/use a BOSS BR532 that is about as easy to use as any old analogue 4 track tape recorder. I probably use 1/100th of its potential as I never use the cutting/pasting/editing features, I don't bounce down, never touched the built in effects and BOSS drum machine etc etc. It's digital so there is no untoward noise (unless you input a noisy signal) and as a simple recording tool it's a doddle. Probably cheap as chips to buy now. Downside is you can't burn to disc easily, so you have to transfer files to a PC... probably easier recording straight to your hard-drive!

Depends what you are after I suppose

It depends so much on what facilities you need and what you are going to use it for. I use a Fostex MR8-MkII, which is super portable, records to CD spec (unlike most of the BOSS products), can be battery powered (bye bye mains hum), and records straight to Compact Flash (no moving parts). It's also cheap (£170/£180??) and very simple to use, though lacking many features (no EQ, internal fx are rubbish, and there's no aux out to use external effects).

I use it for recording bass parts for the band I play with - they give me a stereo mix of the track as a WAV file - easy to download to the MR8 over USB. I then record my parts in my own time, copy them back to the laptop via USB, stick 'em on a memory stick, and then they are incorporated into the mix on the band's computer-based system, where proper EQ and FX can be added as required.

So, in summary, it's great as a means of capturing sound and turning it into a WAV file, but if you want to process the sound you do it elsewhere - kind of like a digital camera, where you capture your image, then download to Photoshop etc for the fine tuning.

Hope this helps.

E

I have a Fostex MR8-HD. The same machine as Earbass describes above except that it has a hard disk drive inside and uses that rather than Compact Flash cards.

It's very easy to use and gets good results.

The other good thing about the MR8 series is that you can connect and record up to 4 sources (e.g. 4 separate mics) simultaneously, whereas as most other multitrackers a limited to 1 or 2 sources simultaneously.

[quote name='BOD2' post='267727' date='Aug 22 2008, 11:29 AM']The other good thing about the MR8 series is that you can connect and record up to 4 sources (e.g. 4 separate mics) simultaneously, whereas as most other multitrackers a limited to 1 or 2 sources simultaneously.[/quote]

I had one of those and it's a neat little thing, especially with the 4 track simultaneous - very very easy to use. The Tascam 2488 is a far bigger and not quite so friendly beast but the extra size and cost gets you 24 bit recording with 8 track simultaneous and up to 24 tracks total.

Alex

I'm more at home with analogue than computer based recording, though I do have an MBOX2 with ProTools.

I have found the Yamaha AW16G a good compromise, as it records digitally but you have mixer style controls. It's also good for recording several instruments at the same time. c£300 will get you a used one on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...