Why become a member? ×

String selection

ben604

Hello, sorry I'm posting all over the show at the moment!

Quick question about strings, I saw that John Mayer DVD the other day (my mate manages the Bose factory store in cheshire oaks, the sound from the lifestyle 48 systems is amazing) and I think Pino plays as part of the Trio and his sound was just lovely and warm and deep and I'd love to sound similar to that.

I've got the 8x10, not quite got the money for a 70s SVT yet, but one day... and I'll have a precision shortly with any luck.

Anyway, would it be safe to assume that he uses Flatwounds?

I've only played roundwounds in the past, so I'm not too sure what to expect. Will they still be suitable for the heavier/stonerish stuff I play?

cheers for the info,
Ben.

No doubt from my perspective that Thomastic Jazz flats are the best strings around. I use them on my Precission, Jazz, Fretless Jazz & Stingray. I simply cannot imagine that there is a string out there that would convince me to change.

PS They may be a bit more expensive but they last forever & start to sound better as they get older.

i'm in absolute flat wound heaven.i've tried a few brands including thomastic/rotosound/fender & a few i can't remember & never liked any of 'em.
but-i just put a set of ernie ball group iv flats on my jazz & they are amazing,very full sound & quite bright sounding for flats too,nice tension & they don't have that awefull sticky feeling that some flats have.
also they aren't too expensive either. infact i like them that much i'm going to order a set for my p' bass.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='267847' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:50 PM']I tried the TI's, and they sounded great, but the tension was a little low for my liking.

I went back to my beloved La Bella FLs.

Heaven in chrome, they are.[/quote]

+1

I love them on my fretless.

I use La Bella Hard Rockin Steels on fretted though

I've gone from thomastic jazz flats (about 1/5 years same set) to La bellas and at the moment I think I prefer the thomastics.

Though I got deep talking mediums, which as a lot thicker that the thomastics,
Also, the jazz flats have red bindings, the la bellas light blue,

As I tend to play quite hard, I prefer a string with more tension. Therefore I have been out this afternoon and bought a set of roundwound Rotobass 50-110's for the P-Bass copy I bought off Silverfoxnik. A small tweak of the truss rod and it's the best it's been since I've owned it. It's as playable as any bass I've previously owned. I have no trouble bending the strings despite the increased tension and as the strings don't flap about as much, I've been able to drop the action. It now has that classic P-bass tone with plenty of meat.

Real surprise of the day however were the D'Addario Chromes that I bought at the same time and have fitted to my Japanese Precision. They are a lot brighter than I expected with loads of warmth to the tone. The strings appear to contain no more tension than a set of roundwound 45-105's. I'm totally sold on the P-bass with flats combination I only wish I'd done it earlier. Everyone should have a P-bass strung with flatwound strings in their armoury.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='278836' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:49 PM']As I tend to play quite hard, I prefer a string with more tension. Therefore I have been out this afternoon and bought a set of roundwound Rotobass 50-110's for the P-Bass copy I bought off Silverfoxnik. A small tweak of the truss rod and it's the best it's been since I've owned it. It's as playable as any bass I've previously owned. I have no trouble bending the strings despite the increased tension and as the strings don't flap about as much, I've been able to drop the action. It now has that classic P-bass tone with plenty of meat.

Real surprise of the day however were the D'Addario Chromes that I bought at the same time and have fitted to my Japanese Precision. They are a lot brighter than I expected with loads of warmth to the tone. The strings appear to contain no more tension than a set of roundwound 45-105's. I'm totally sold on the P-bass with flats combination I only wish I'd done it earlier. Everyone should have a P-bass strung with flatwound strings in their armoury.[/quote]

Ive posted in another thread as well but yes, ive just started using Chromes on my Lakland Duck Dunn and love them (for now).
I noyl take one bass to gigs so they have to cover all our songs (all covers) and i find the Chromes have that extra bit of top end that seems better suited to the more moder stuff compared to TI's.
Ive used TI's in the past (3 times) and love the feel of them but i always seems to miss the zing of rounds so go back to Fender Nicks but with this bass the chromes seem to sound better (i also tried Chromes but didn't like them on my Jazz about two years ago).

[quote name='jcater' post='267844' date='Aug 22 2008, 12:45 PM']Thomastic ... I simply cannot imagine that there is a string out there that would convince me to change.[/quote]

Undoubtedly a quality string. Perhaps you'll have already tried them, but my only other suggestion would be Junger GmbH's Pyramid Golds.