Why become a member? ×

With apologies! Tone from maple board versus tone from rosewood board.....?

Beedster

I'd always assumed the OPs original question was academic and nothing else. Given all other components are identical, is there a difference between rosewood and maple? and not a thing you would choose between for tone.
I suspect if he does the chamber experiment he may get some who can hear a difference, but does not get any discrimination in whatever spectrum analyser he uses - you need to go a long way in technology to beat human lugholes and brains. My maple and rosewood basses have too many other differences to make any meaningfull comparison of the necks.

One question. If you believe the neck has no influence on the vibration of the string, do you have an explanation for dead spots, which do exist?

Oh - and I've stuffed SpongeBob under my strings near the bridge, so I now have plenty of funk.

Edited by pfretrock

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1429343186' post='2750535']
Got a lot of basses with ivory fretboards, have you?

If the folklore that ebony boards sit between maple and rosewood in terms of brightness is true, that blows away the hardness argument since ebony is a lot harder and more dense than either rosewood or maple.

Beedster you need to get some otherwise identical necks made up with different board materials and test them all on the same body with the same brand of strings to eliminate as many sources of error as possible.
[/quote]

It's not really hardness or density I would say... From my engineering days there are many different properites that mean very specific things - hardness, density, strength, stiffness, toughness, ductility, malleability, etc. In terms of these material properties I would say stiffness is more relevant. Also the resonant frequency of the resulting object and how the internal structure of the wood dampens vibrations e.g. widely spaced grains would be more prone to flexing and rubbing against each other, converting vibration to heat.

But I think my sponge analogy still stands!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1429259379' post='2749680']
I know nothing about all the scientific facts etc.. but the maple boards are definitely brighter to my ears, and I have even swapped the necks and tried both necks on the same body and electrics/settings etc..

I'm sure people will tell me I'm wrong though! :huh:
[/quote]
You don't need to know anything about scientific facts...sounds are perceived by ears not statistics.

Your ears define your subjective reality...they cannot be wrong!

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1430250001' post='2759578']
This guy is not convinced about the whole tone wood thing. Interesting video.

http://youtu.be/mVmFlzksMCE
[/quote]

Very interesting video. I like that guy, found his weariness of it all pretty funny in a weird kind of Bill Hicks way.

He just multiplied my Squier smugness by about tenfold too ;)