Why become a member? ×

I have an irrational feeling for buying a Musicman Stingray!

lou24d53

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1428994189' post='2746686']
I too get massive and entirely unaccountable urges in this direction. Is there a cure or will I have to find something I can afford at some point :(
[/quote]

Nope - no chance!! I've had it numerous times and now have five Rays - the other couple of times it transformed into a Sabre and a Bongo!!

I was having GAS recently for a late 80s/early 90s trans red Ray but seem to have resolved it by bringing out my 2007LE 4HH Ray after a few months sat in its case - it can sound very much like an active Jazz a la Marcus Miller sound in some settings - but a full fat Ray or Sabre in others - we all know wood makes no difference whatsoever but a rosewood board and ultra light weight seem to help this bass have a different sound - but still unmistakably Ray with the bridge humbucker soloed.

• 3 weeks later...

After years of StingRay lust I bought a Sterling instead... Not too fond of chunky necks and big slabs of body wood made me decide to buy a Sterling. Its smaller neck profile fits my smallish hands better. It sounds awesome! Plenty of signature Musicman growl on tap. It looks small next to my Lakland DJ but it's a 34" scale length. Balances quite a bit different from the DJ. Neck profile is more of a handful but feels smooth as silk.

I would have bought a Classic Sabre if it was available with a narrow neck. Ernie Ball should make a Slo Special Sabre!

Edited by Treb

I have played & owned a few but now only have a fret less '85 Stingray with 3 band eq in trans red. It's road worn and I would like a fretted one to go with it at some point. A stingray always feels and sounds so right to me.

Just been through a bout of Stingray GAS myself. Always felt the sound was a bit marmite - and for some reason I always liked Sintgrays in other peoples hands but not my own.

Tried out a bog-standard Stingray 5H in the shop (both rosewood and maple necks) - liked both. Thought, hmm, I seem to be warming to these. Tried out a Neptune Blue PDN Stingray 5H - arrived damaged, didn't gel with it like I had in the shop, returned it. Tried a Stingray 5HS and liked it but it wasn't quite right - sold it to someone who sounds far better on it than I ever did (hello Dave, if you're out there).

Then... I succumbed to GAS and bought Meyelpenek's 20th Anniversary Stingray 5HH....

Whoa...what a belter! I don't know about this whole 'mahogany tone block' business (?snake oil), but I love the dual HH configuration and the 'tweaked' preamp that they put in this model. The fretwork was as perfect as any I have found on even my more expensive instruments. It plays and sounds just great. I will do some recording with it soon. If you see a 20th Anniversary 5er, I would suggest buying it if you have the chance. I am a total convert to Stingrays now, but like any model, I guess you have to find the right one.

Pete

Owned 2 Ray's, a blonde maple board (1988 4 bolt neck), then a black one with a rosewood board (md 90's 6 bolt neck). Both band EQ.

The blonde was superb, a bit beaten up, but sounded and played great. Sold it because I needed the cash. Bought the black one a few years later when I could afford it, had a beautiful birdseye maple neck, but it was a massive disappointment sound-wise.