Why become a member? ×

Gumtree scam?

badboy1984

I've recently advertise my Fender Classic 60 jazz bass on gumtree along in here of course.

I've set my contact method to email and mobile on the gumtree ad.

I've received a text message yesterday saying is from gumtree and tell me to contact a interest buyer by email. I've contacted this buyer from email and the person reply asking how much I'm looking to sell. I said I want £600 and it comes with accesories etc. The person reply saying he will buy it for that prize and said the bass will need to be picked up by a courier because his working in the RAF and ask me to give paypal detail so money will pay via paypal. This is to ensure it will protect both party.

I think is a scam right?

SCAM!!!!
For me, set all Bumtree ads for email response only. You wouldn't be the first to ring a number texted to you, then find the bill for that call was £30 or more.
This one is simpler, they are just after your Paypal account details, to rob you that way.
Delete the text.

Edited by karlfer

I've had a very similar one on Gumtree myself, put the bass on there for sale and half an hour later some guy replied saying he wants it for his son's birthday but he needs to arrange for his agent to pick it up as he works on an oil rig and he wanted paypal details to pay - needless to say it was a scam and when I questioned him he mysteriously stopped replying...

That sound about right. Last time when I sold my MM Bongo on gumtree I thought is a scam too. Sold it to a teenage guy, I wasn't sure at start but then it end up quite well because his mum and him travel all the way from far side of down south up to Manchester to pickup the bass and paid cash.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1427990046' post='2736800']
I only ever accept cash on collection on Gumtree.

If I was going to accept PayPal or trust the thing to a courier I'd sell on eBay to a wider market.
[/quote]

+1

If selling something and having it picked up from your home/work by an untrusted party, do not take PayPal as payment. As I understand it, you won't be protected as a seller with PayPal unless you have proof of delivery. It's very easy for someone to pay you with PayPal, collect the item, and then claim they never received it to get their money back from you.

If you're arranging the courier yourself that's fine, but otherwise cash on collection/delivery.

I remember reading about the basschatter who strung along a scammer who wanted money paid into a bank account abroad somewhere. The scammer didnt have a clue he was being strung along. It made hilarious reading :lol: