Why become a member? ×

A P/J for Davy

Davy

I've just picked up a nice precision style neck from Rumple with a view to putting together a P/J bass.

I'm currently sourcing the various components but as this is my first attempt into custom work I would describe it more as an assembling of components rather than a true custom build. Hopefully it will still qualify me to include it in this forum....

I'll upload a picture of the neck soon but it's precision style, rosewood board with a nice cream binding along the edges.

This is the basic spec. I'm looking at:

White, sunburst, fiesta red or amber precision body(depending on what comes up for sale). I may look make it roadworn but I'll wait and see what it all looks like when it's assembled first.

Standard precision tortoiseshell scratchplate.

Passive P/J pickups. Undecided on the brand yet but probably Fender USA unless anyone has any alternative suggestions.

Standard bridge for the time being but may upgrade to something more substantial in the future.

I'm undecided as to whether to do the typical P/J conversion, i.e. re-drill the jack socket on the edge of the body and use the existing jack socket as the tone pot or go for a two stacked knob configuration which I think might make it look a little bit different.

Will upload pics of the neck soon and hopefully the body as and when I can find one.........

Edited by Davy

Pics of the neck and also the body that I've just managed to source on Ebay.

Does it look like fiesta red to anyone? Still happy with the colour even if it's not and it came fully loaded so could actually put a bass together with what I've just bought.

Tortoiseshell pick guard next on the shopping list followed by bridge pickup fitting..........

Edited by Davy

In the pic it looks redder then Fiesta which tends to be a bit pinky if my Road Word Jazz is anything to go by but you won't know for sure until it turns up as photos can be deceiving when it come to colour.

Do you know what make the body is?

FWIW I quite like the off white scratchplate :)

It's a squire but not sure where it was made.

You're right, the colour can be different depending on the light. I used to have a MIM Precision that was B&Q orange in the flesh but it looked like fiesta red under certain lights!

If it turns out to be more of a candy red then the tort pick guard might not work and then I might keep the off white one.

[quote name='Davy' timestamp='1427880340' post='2735283']
It's a squire but not sure where it was made.

You're right, the colour can be different depending on the light. I used to have a MIM Precision that was B&Q orange in the flesh but it looked like fiesta red under certain lights!

If it turns out to be more of a candy red then the tort pick guard might not work and then I might keep the off white one.
[/quote]

Either way it will look nice.

Well the body arrived in the post this afternoon looking more Hank Marvin red than Pino fiesta red but it's still a nice colour.

Pick guard is very off-white but I'll be replacing it with a new one, probably tort.

Tried sitting the neck into the neck pocket on the body but it appears to be about 2-3mm too wide so some work required there.

Has anyone ever tried leaving their body out in the sun or in a conservatory to try to fade the paint slightly?

Yes, red is at the far end of the visible spectrum,
and absorbs all other visible wavelengths (in addition to UV)
So any red dyes and pigments tend to be less permanent than other colours

As well as old Vauxhalls / Fords etc - just look at posters (and particularly photos in shop windows)
Of course, whatever coating is on this body will help protect the paint from fading
... so it might take a long time to fade....

Difficult to tell from photos, but it looks a more vivid red than Fiesta (is it maybe Candy Apple Red?)
As others have said, Fiesta Red tends to look more pink
You could always do a bit of a re-spray?

looking forward to seeing this one progress
Good luck :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1428502743' post='2741886']
I'm no expert but red is more likely to fade in sunlight then most other colours, plenty of pink Vauxhalls about to prove that!
[/quote]
Yes, seen plenty of them of the road! :lol:

So I took the bass parts over to the Bassdoc this afternoon to leave it in his capable hands for the re-build.

He reckons that the bass is close to fiesta red as it would have come out in the factory back in the day. The fiesta reds that are produced today are apparently made to look more faded, i.e. pink. Anyway the upshot is that a tortoise shell scratch plate is going to look good against the colour.

Just as well it's with an expert as the neck pocket is going to need some work to accept the neck and the original bridge is going to be replaced with a Gotoh lookalike.

Had a chat about pickups and probably going to replace the originals with a Fender USA set and will at some in the future put in a USA bridge pickup.

Watch this space for the photos when the majority of the work is complete.

Well here it is all put together with a lovely 3 ply tortoise shell pick guard.

The action is nice and low and it sounds really nice at low volume but I've yet to gig with it.

Very happy so far and I'll report back once I've had a chance to play her at gig volume.

The neck feels great and looks great too with the binding down the edges, just love the whole package!

Think I'll leave the headstock naked as it's a nice piece of flamed wood.

A big thanks to the Bassdoc for his work, excellent as usual and I even ended up buying a cab from him to go with my new GK RB1001-II head, all change gear-wise for me!

Hi Davy,

When you started the thread, I assumed "PJ" meant you were adding a Jazz bridge pickup
However, the binding on that neck looks great :)

It's a good colour too, esp with the red tort scratchplate - sets it off nicely
I'd take a long hard think about whether to introduce some "roadwear"
I like RW's myself - but this bass looks fine as it is

As you say, the headstock looks good as it is too

Do you know what brand / make the neck is?
And is it more a Jazz profile / size neck?

Nice job