Why become a member? ×

First time builder looking for suggestions.

Joebethell

[b]I have had a voice nagging away in the back of my head for a while telling me to make a bass and i just managed to secure an old Fender Bullet Deluxe neck.[/b]

[b]Im after thoughts on where to take it the neck is 34" scale with a headstock like an old 50s Pbass or Tele bass.[/b]
[b]I have had a few ideas along the lines of a Super Fender with either a P/J set up or maybe Darkstar pickups but the real sticking point is the body style i can't decide on what i want apart from a Roadword/relic style.[/b]
[b]Any help would be great. [/b]

Thanks for the input i don't think the P/lyte look is for me but a classic tele may do it. i also was thinking Jag bass or even going mad with a starcaster body.

Darkstars are being made again by Curtis Novak not cheap but are available 275 usd each so about 180pounds.

Cheers Joe

Why not just see what's available on eBay ? You might get ideas if you see what's going cheap. Obviously your body choice is going to influence your pick up choice unless you are into routing the body.
I've built two basses and a guitar and all three play brilliant. I'm sure you will love it !

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1427356633' post='2729177']
Thanks for the input i don't think the P/lyte look is for me but a classic tele may do it. i also was thinking Jag bass or even going mad with a starcaster body.

Cheers Joe
[/quote]

Ooooh - Jag....now you're talking :)

This is my Squier Jag, slightly 'tweaked':

It's a great design and fairly straightforward for a first build!

Andy

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1427360312' post='2729237']
nice top is it burl maple?
[/quote]
To my shame I'm not entirely sure what it is. The veneer was a fleabay purchase and wasn't specific. It's not maple, certainly. It has an Amboyna look about it but I don't recall it having the distinctive Amboyna smell. Never been able to get any more, sadly...

Andy

Still a great looking top though.

Been doing a bit of Ebaying myself not made a purchase yet but have seen a nice looking tele style body if it is still available on payday it will be the next purchase and then will get some pictures up on here to start the build proper.

Edited by Joebethell

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1427578755' post='2732022']
Still a great looking top though.

Been doing a bit of Ebaying myself not made a purchase yet but have seen a nice looking tele style body if it is still available on payday it will be the next purchase and then will get some pictures up on here to start the build proper.
[/quote]
Great - we'll all follow with interest....

I've been in the process of trying to produce something like this except I've gone withe a P / J the body is finished without any mild road wearing/distressing my next challenge is to source A scratch plate as the the doer body is an old Aria CAT without one I believe i'm going to be crafting my own

Edited by synthaside

• 3 weeks later...

So body is on the way should be here in a couple of days so will add pictures then. I'm also now seriously looking at pickups and I'm considering a plug and play thunderbird set from EMG as no soldering model is TBTW can be single coil or humbuking. Also quite fancy fitting a Sims quad coil? Does any have any experience with either of these setups?

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1429720310' post='2754285']
So body is on the way should be here in a couple of days so will add pictures then. I'm also now seriously looking at pickups and I'm considering a plug and play thunderbird set from EMG as no soldering model is TBTW can be single coil or humbuking. Also quite fancy fitting a Sims quad coil? Does any have any experience with either of these setups?
[/quote]
No experience here, I'm afraid, but sounds interesting. Will be following your thread :)

So after wasting a whole day yesterday waiting for a delivery and being promised a call from my local delivery office today which they couldn't even manage i am still without my body!!

GOOD OLD PARCELFARCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry2:

Edited by Joebethell

So my body finally came today so I'm happy😃😃😃😃😃😃! It's a black fender Mike Dirnt Pbass I think from around 2003ish.

It's slab backed an has that Tele style I was looking for now it does have a few knocks, paint chips and the arm cut on the top looks like someone has gone at it with some sandpaper to either relic poorly or rub out some damage? So it looks a bit flat.

The neck seems to be a great fit apart from the very end of the pocket where the neck is curved and the pocket is squared off but until I get a fixing plate its hard to say if it's a tight enough fit but the screw holes seem to line up which will be a bonus.

Will load some photos shortly

More parts ordered. Fender USA neck plate, some mint green 3ply for the pick guard and a tasty Bad Ass.

All thats left is to decide on pickup options out of the many ideas i have had….. HMMMMMMM.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1431538450' post='2772401']
Big and exciting news i have chosen the pickups for the build and ordered them!

They are special indeed.
[/quote]

More info PLEASE :)