Why become a member? ×

SWAPPED - Musicman Stingray 2EQ (Pending collection)

Machines

Really really want a 5 string, this bass is absolutely fantastic but it also my most valuable ! Looking for trades of decent 5 strings, a Stingray 5 would be ideal obviously. Interested to see what else is out there really.. offer away !

The body in amazing condition, especially for a 13 year old bass, i’ve seen new basses look worse. The neck is a tiny bit grubby, but that’s what happens to maple fingerboards over time unfortunately.

The previous (original) owner had the bass modified to move the pickup towards the neck. I moved it straight back and the pickguard covers it all no problem. The routing was done professionally on a jig and is very very tidy. It has no effect on the tone (i’ve played a lot of Stingrays and know for sure) and you won’t even know it’s there. I could have not told you this of course, but honesty and all that ! I would include 3 pickguards, those being the black one pictured, a matt white one (original EBMM) and the one modified for the different pickup position. You could if you so wished have the original pickup location and one in the extra routed hole, and with a little wiring modification you have a Stingray HH !

Interested in my 1991 Warwick Thumb 5 NT? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23439"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23439[/url]

Or a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 string in Lake Placid blue with Lindy Fralin pickups and a white pearloid scratchplate. Passive, but a lovely sounding jazz.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='264799' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:20 PM']that warwick thumb 5 is a great trade deal, btw[/quote]
Whoa there Tonto.......I think I may have mislead that one there. Not thinking, I clearly didn't realise what I probably inferred. I was just using my link without mentioning that I didn't mean a straight swap.

For the Warwick, I'd look at a trade + cash (to be negoatiated) coming my way.

The Lakland would be a straight swap.

Sorry for any confusion :blush:

I wish that was true!

I have a Warwick Thumb 4 string 1991 NT and I can guarantee you that the Warwick decline is everywhere!

Go to the Bass Gallery in London and ask what the would give you in part exchange - they won't even take it.

Don't know why this has happened as they are great basses and worth s stack more than they are currently selling for hence the reason I still have mine!!!

Mark

[quote name='ianrunci' post='264836' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:58 PM']the only place Ive seen evidence of a warwick decline is on this forum[/quote]

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='264881' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:08 PM']With all due respect, I can [b]expect[/b] as much as I want. Whether that suits myself and the buyer is down to us.[/quote]
fair enough

anyways back on topic, someone trade this man a sr5!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='264893' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:20 PM']I wish that was true!

I have a Warwick Thumb 4 string 1991 NT and I can guarantee you that the Warwick decline is everywhere!

Go to the Bass Gallery in London and ask what the would give you in part exchange - they won't even take it.

Don't know why this has happened as they are great basses and worth s stack more than they are currently selling for hence the reason I still have mine!!!

Mark[/quote]

yeah but thats the bass gallery and everything they sell is at least £200 more expensive than anywhere else :) . Fact is I have been watching Warwicks sell for good money on Fleabay. All guitars seem to go though a dip at some point. If the market down south is slow then your better off keeping hold of it and waiting for it to pick up again as it most certainly will.

The sellers market for everything is bad at the moment to be fair. Sound control were offering me USA Stratocasters for £400 a coule of months back. Even stingrays are only fetching 600 and I have seen a couple go for 550, And we see loads of Fender US P's and Js going for £450. I I watched a mex jazz deluxe go for 170 this weekend

I am rying to hold on to everything Ive got and am buying stuff where and when I can and sticking it in the cupboard for better times. In fact this evening I have just managed to pick up a mint Marshall JCM 800 50w 1x12 combo for £250, the serial dates from 1983. definately a bargain :huh:

I think Stingrays have definitely dropped a bit, but I feel the cosmetically superior ones (birdseye maple necks / old style bridges) should command a more reasonable price of £700+.

With the Warwicks - a couple of people have unsuccessfully tried to shift there Warwicks on here ridiculously cheap. It appears the problem isn't what is being charged, but that everyone is skint ! That Streamer ProM 5 was down to less than £400.. which is crazy in my eyes.

And back on topic (sorry OP ! :huh:), replied to your PM Thunderthumbs :).

[quote name='BassManKev' post='265294' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:39 AM']lol how can you compare a jazz to a stingray, its like saying bran flakes are better than monkeys, surely its subjective :huh:[/quote]

How can't you? :)

They're both 5 string basses after all. And I wasn't comparing... Just because they're different styles of bass doesn't mean you can't compare and contrast them though. Everything I said was tempered with 'IMHO'. I've tried both a ray5 and a JO5 and found, for me, that the JO was superior in every way.

By the way, monkeys taste better than branflakes...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='265231' date='Aug 19 2008, 09:12 AM']Go for the JO5. Best 5er this side of £1500 (except for a bongo 5HH) IMHO... Kicks a 'ray 5's backside [b](again IMHO).[/b][/quote]

The important bit is highlighted :). I am considering my options currently.