Why become a member? ×

Would You Buy A Bass with No Truss Rod?

discreet

'Very playable', but 'unable to adjust truss rod'. Would you? I wouldn't.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-precision-copy-/281603093043?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-precision-copy-/281603093043?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276[/url]

That's my first question these days... 'is the truss rod working OK?' If the answer is anything other than 'Yes, fine' then I move on, and you should too! :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424344547' post='2695307']
'Very playable', but 'unable to adjust truss rod'. Would you? I wouldn't.
[/quote]

If it was very, very cheap and the neck relief was already where I like it I would consider it, otherwise no. I've already replaced one neck due to an ineffective truss rod, and I'd rather not be in that position again.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1424347508' post='2695348']
Hell, forget the trussrod, why would you buy a Chinese fake with a huge West Ham sticker on it? :lol:
[/quote]

That's always my second question, 'Has it got any stupid stickers on it?' :D

Mind you, if it's good enough for Steve Harris...
Actually no - balls to it - Steve Harris has NO taste!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1424348385' post='2695368']
So what if I do have the new, official Mex version on pre-order :blush:
[/quote]

Well you've got a sea foam green bass with a tort guard, so no surprises there! :D

Seriously though, each to his own, one man's meat, if everyone liked the same thing, yadda yadda.
Apparently some people don't like white basses, can you imagine THAT?? :o

Edited by discreet

The truss rod on one of my basses was "inoperative" when I bought it. Only found out when it arrived from Slovakia. A couple of suitably sized washers under the nut at the end of the rod and it was operative again. Don't know whether it would work in this case, as I don't know what the truss rods are like on Fender or Squier style stuff.

This bass is starting at £200 with £50 postage. This guy's on another planet. You can buy a fully working MiM for little more if you look around.

I had a wishbass with no truss rod. Anything else, like this, is all a risk. I don't think I'd go for it at this price without knowing more. If it was 75 posted I'd take a punt.

Sorry, for whittering

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1424531502' post='2697384']
Wishbasses are designed not to have truss rods. That's different to designing something with a trussrod which then doesn't work.
[/quote]

OK, I see. The truss rod that doesn't work reminds me of the mylespaul.com thread I posted the other day. A Chibson had a fake truss rod. Which was the adjustment hex socket welded to a strange bent piece of metal in the next which was not a working truss rod.