Why become a member? ×

Getting a first gig

Nicko

We're a covers band and have played a few open mic nights. We have enough material to fill 90 minutes. We're really only doing it for fun so we'd be looking for gigs in local pubs.

I only ever played gigs in a house band before so I have no idea what the next step is. How do we get ouselves out there?

I would offer to play for free just to get a foot in the door. Many landlords will be worried about paying for a band that turns out to be rubbish, but if you are doing it for nothing, he's not losing anything. Hopefully, you'll get a good night , then you can ask for a fee next time.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1423577035' post='2686526']
I would try and get your sets up to 2 hours total if possible. Anything less is a bit risky. Even if you tell the landlord you can only do 2 x 45 he will quickly forget when he tells you on the night to play from 9pm till 12am
[/quote]

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1423581846' post='2686598']

2x45 should be ok, don't play too much fillers that aren't up to your best standard

[/quote]

Sorry Lojo, I'm with Bonzodog on this one. :)

JTUK is also spot on with the 'bring a crowd' bit, which begs the question ... can you? And not just for the very firstest gig ever, but also for repeat gigs?

Never oversell yourself to a pub; they have long memories. Be as straight as you can, and when some pubs then shaft you don't react.

On the charging thing, never perform for nowt if it's at all avoidable (or if it's liderally for charidee), but don't expect to start at £250 a night. Offer a LL a package of three gigs, charging (say) £50 for the first, £150 for the second, and then £250 for the third and following gigs.

You can tell him that, if you're crap at the first gig, he'll just cancel the remainder anyway. And no, I'm not trying to be funny.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1423582790' post='2686606']

JTUK is also spot on with the 'bring a crowd' bit, which begs the question ... can you? And not just for the very firstest gig ever, but also for repeat gigs?

Never oversell yourself to a pub; they have long memories. Be as straight as you can, and when some pubs then shaft you don't react.

On the charging thing, never perform for nowt if it's at all avoidable (or if it's liderally for charidee), but don't expect to start at £250 a night. Offer a LL a package of three gigs, charging (say) £50 for the first, £150 for the second, and then £250 for the third and following gigs.

You can tell him that, if you're crap at the first gig, he'll just cancel the remainder anyway. And no, I'm not trying to be funny.
[/quote]

Fair enough, that's probably a better idea for getting a foot in the door. As for taking a crowd. I don't know a band that wouldn't take a crowd for their first ever gig. Your always gonna get your mates and girlfriends coming, so I'm sure it would be a good night. It's keeping that up that's the problem. Support will fade unless you can garner more by playing great stuff.

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1423582856' post='2686608']

Have you got a FB and/or YouTube page you could sent to prospective gigs so they know what to expect?
[/quote]

We have a FB page witha few tracks, but the recording quality's not great. Theres a link to some YT vids of open mic nights with a simillar quality issue. We could invest in a day to do a properly recorded demo in the studio if its not chucking time and money away for nowt.

Whatever you promise, you must do your utmost to deliver..
No one likes to be had over and since he is doing you a favour of sorts
booking you rather than 100 others, you should be good to your word.
If you tell him you are the bees;knees, then make sure you are
and by the same token if you aren't able to bring 10 people, don't give
the impression/BS you will.
That way, no one feels cheated and you have not got off on the
wrong foot.
We always like to have a good respected relationship with the booker...
and if we don't, we aren't likely to play there again