Why become a member? ×

Agencies gigs whats the score?

KingPrawn

Morning all.

The drummer of one of the bands I'm in,which plays classic Disco and funk, really wants us to get media pack together to approach agencies. My question to my fellow chatters is.

Whats the benefit of agencies? who are the best ones and what should we look out for?

Cheers

KP

I used a small agent. She was very good. Found us lots of work and took a percentage.

Because they know how much you want they're good at matching bands with clients. This means that there's not much wiggle room with the money. Take what they offer. Sometimes you can haggle a bit more but the agent will know and advise you when to take the money and when to haggle.

The only caveats were.
1. She expected a reply quickly, sometimes within 4hours. This caused tension in my band because they were inept at keeping diaries and making descisions.
2. If someone drops out you've agreed to do the gig so you need to find a dep. although she knew enough musicians to fill slots if we got stuck (we didn't)
3. We got some very strange gigs.

You need to trust them and be on the same page.
What is a great gig for them is 10/15 % but you the ones
who have to honour it. So, I'd be very wary about where
they are putting us as they don't play the shi*holes, but they
get paid for you to..??

Personally I'm very picky about what gigs to play so I'm
not doing them just so someone else can make money.

I'd only use them for what gigs I couldn't get myself but
I'd not be using them in pubs.

Basically, you have to think that they get half what you get
and it depends whether that is worth it to you.

I had a couple of agencies that would feed me work, back in the day. One I hardly heard from, but it was usually good money and a good gig - the other one - well let's just say I groaned when I knew who was on the phone............if you are seriously considering this route, you need to be prepared for last minute gigs & strange places, so flexibility is a must.

:)

Some very wise words here, and I agree with pretty much all of it.

My experience is that if any member of the band when offered a gig habitually says along the lines of
' I need to check with the wife/girlfriend/work to see if I can do it' things are going to get strained very quickly.

There are some really great agencies out there,
As always (with bands also),lots of people playing at it,
you really need to be serious before approaching a good agent, most bookers tend not to be "facebook generation" so apart from being available, they will be looking for a website with some vid footage and pictures, they can send to potential venues,
its also very good form, to go see them in person, and agree to perform at one of their "showcases" where they will ask you to play in front of their customers.
If this all goes well, should end up with a full diary.
Its the agents job to "sell bands", not be your bestie, so they will want to book you (if you make it as one of their acts) wherever they can, so expect a few tryout gigs, before you get the premium bookings.
inevitably this will probably mean at some point if your in the UK ending up at the Holiday camp circuit,,(another topic completely), which is not for everyone, but if starting out, is good money and experiance,
you do need to be aware of the fact you will be traded like cards with other agents etc,, and may be asked to work exclusively through one office acting as your sole agent,, who would them want commission on all your existing gigs,
this can be difficult and lead to conflict, however, if your now working 4 nights a week, can be worth it.
If your just looking to pick up the odd gig here and there, its possibly not the route for you to go, if however, you have a band and want to work every weekend,, go for it.
it can lead to some great opportunities, we ended up as touring support band for a rather famous guy, and never stop touring the big UK theatres...as well as doing our own shows,,
if can help with anything, feel free to give us a shout,, and good luck with it...

Being represented by an agency is great if they're good and have the time and an honest interest in getting the band more $$ and better gigs. I would think Disco/Funk would be a great match for the right agency.

Here in Milwaukee they only work with high end cover bands. They don't work with originals bands or blues /rock bands like mine.

Over here the money and hours for agency gigs is pretty nice. For example,an agency can get a gig at let's say a function at The Milwaukee Zoo playing 2:00- 4:00 for a grand as opposed to 9:00p-12:00a for $400.00.

Blue

As always, there are agents and agent here.
Some just have a list of 'in's with venues and they will put their
entire stable in there...
That might work for the venue as they give everything to the agent, and the agent
might work for their money, but for me it does really work. Basically, you have subbed
out the job of getting the gig, which isn't that great a deal. However, if everyone else
in the band gets paid the same, and I spend all the time hassling for gigs, I'm going to
want to be paid admin, if I feel it a put-upon..!! This, unfortuneatley prooves to me
that all in a band is not equal.
Continuing with the local small agent, they are in that position as they are known for
last minute type cover, and they have just broadened their scope. But the price
for them throwing everyone one of their gigs at you, is that you work exclusively for them
and they want commision on every fee you get..whether they got it for you or not..??
We have too many other points of contact to be able to ..or want to..do that, so we
say we'll work on a one-off. This normally doesn't work as they want to stick with the
100% regular bands. I'd argue that they ( the agent ) are now working more for themselves
rather than the client as some of their bands aren't always the most suitable..
Having looked at the rosta of these type of agents, the bands aren't even that good,
so you don't want to be associated with their stable, and you are only probably losing
£30 a gig anyway.
We've given them a band price on a one-off basis, but we haven't really missed out
on anything.

If you are talking about weddings agents... I'm not sure I'd do that, but events organisers
in London are a different ball game. We'd expect to pretty much double our party fee
to go into town but I think we undercharge because I can't see an agent being happy with 10%/£200
for that sort of degree of organisation..??
Maybe a London party band using an agent/event org' can comment.