Why become a member? ×

String change on my fretless open my eyes up

badboy1984

My westone fretless had a set of roto black nylon strings on. It play nice and go easy on my finger, but it never really give me that fretless sound i was searching for.

Decided to spend 12 pounds on a set of roto rounds gauge 40-100 and strung it on the fretless.

First plug in and play, i got my sound already. Light gauge is nice on the fretless and the rounds give so much mwag that i like.

Picking roto flats and nylon flats might be a bad choice to tried.

The roto jazz bass flats is super high tension to make it very uncomfortable to play.

The black nylon is thicker and produce lower output but the tone is smooth and deep. Good for double bass sound.

I've put a set of roto nickle rounds on, my fretless comes alive. Lots of brightless which i like for harmonic and lots of mwah tone. Not to mention my ebow works better on rounds then nylon strings.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1424977744' post='2702567']
Only issue with roundwounds on a fretless bass is that they will chew up your fingerboard... I love the sound, so I live with that.
[/quote]
This - Roto rounds particularly, considering how quickly they can chomp through frets!

If you want a bit roundwound growl from your fretless, I'd suggest halfrounds or ground wounds, much more friendly to your board & less squeaky on the fingers.

Jon.

Fitted my usual TI flats to Corvette fretless - hmm. Is now much improved with Chromes. TI flats then Chromes on SG bass - hmmm, Pyramid golds that were on it when I got it are the biz. TI flats on all my other bases - super. Some strings do not suit some basses (or me).