Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street hype or tripe....

jonnythenotes

I popped in wunjos yesterday for a quick look around... Was told by both members of staff that I could pick up anything I wanted to try.

They did have a nice selection of the new ibanez basses at the back, the ones with the nordy pickups and they looked fantastic instruments, couldn't believe the price tag on them for the quality.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1439625059' post='2844411']
While I'm a compulsive window shopper and always stop by, I always find the experience massively underwhelming. Props to wunjo bass who have some decent stuff and friendly helpful staff. Not bothered about the rest of it.

I much, much prefer places like Andertons in Guildford or guitar guitar in Epsom nowadays. I was at Andertons a few days ago and got that kid in a candy shop feeling.
[/quote]

I went out to Anderton's to look for a Tele last year. I didn't end up buying one, but the staff there were great and set me up in their expensive guitar cave to A/B the ones that I was interested in. Lots of great stuff in there, and the experience meant that I spent a chunk of cash with them later in the year on a synth rather than go to someone else.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1439653665' post='2844716']
[shameless plug]

As it happens I've recently started a documentary photo-project gathering the stories of people working on Denmark Street.

The first in the series was an interview with Graham Noden, who has run his repair shop in the basement of Andy's/Hank's for the last 30 years

[url="http://streetofsound.uk"]http://streetofsound.uk[/url]

Brian Rowe of Wunjo coming soon... :)
[/quote]

Graham worked on my '62 Refin P. Very decent bloke.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1439814579' post='2845941']
Graham worked on my '62 Refin P. Very decent bloke.
[/quote]

Yeah. He sorted out the unplayable 8-string neck on a Shergold double-neck for me as well. Lovely little workshop he's got down there. Don't think I've ever seen him outside it.

I did something I never thought I'd do but after a happy hour or so spent with another bass player and guitarist in the Bass Gallery noodling on various elderly Precisions I actually bought a used bass a little later in Denmark St. As my companions wished to look in other shops I was keen to watch as well.

I then experienced something I never have before - I became persona non grata in every other shop we went in - 'er we don't allow gig bags in here you'll have to leave it' (in one case behind the counter and another by the door etc etc you get the drift). I thought ah you think I'm a thief going to walk off with one of your guitars - however my gig bag was v obviously loaded!! Needless to say I was less than chuffed with the idea of leaving my new purchase by the door in case someone walked off with it - a fact which appeared not to have even crossed the minds of the gentlemen running said shop.

In the one where I was required to leave it behind the counter I rather pointedly opened the gig bag to check it was still there before leaving - well if they don't trust me not to swap my instrument for one of their (cheaper) ones whilst their back is turned why should I trust them not to do the same?

I'd hasten to add that no one actually gave any explanation why 'er - we don't allow gig bags in here' - just 'you'll have to leave it here'. Not the best level of customer communication and service in shops inviting you to offload anything up to several thousand pounds on their wares I thought!

Anyway apart from feeling a little uncomfortable, no harm done to me, I just found it a bit strange - however if I was an American tourist for instance, it may well have given me a very outraged view of Denmark St and it's outlets, if not the British in general!!

I wonder if they confiscate bags when you walk in for fear of someone pinching an effects pedal or guitar pick?

Edited by drTStingray

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]^ That happened to me there once a few years ago, and worse, the guy who ordered my case to be left behind the counter was Pete Austin, a street legend who sold me my first Gibson 20 years before and had been a decent acquaintance ever since. I thought he was joking: he was not. I didn't go back in there for a while.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]On the other hand, if you go to big stores in the US, like Guitar Center in LA, you have to hand in everything at the desk as a matter of course. There must have been some incident, and I got the crossfire. PIssed me off royally, though.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I toyed with the idea of a Denmark St book for a while and have a fair few contacts going back to the 70s and 80s, but the truth in that business is hard to find. Plus, I can't face doing a book again...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So big up cybertect for doing the cool interview/photography thing, it's well overdue. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mind you, I'm still pissed off at Brian for blatantly misrepresenting a guitar to a mate. A lot of their stuff is wrong.[/font][/color]

Edited by KK Jale

• 1 month later...

I moved to London 10 years ago and although I'm sure Denmark St was great in the past but I've never found it anything other than overpriced and the shops staffed by numbskulls.

Wunjos is cool - I've popped in there on the back of what people have said here, but the rest of it ?

Bloody awful.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1439814095' post='2845920'] I went out to Anderton's to look for a Tele last year. I didn't end up buying one, but the staff there were great and set me up in their expensive guitar cave to A/B the ones that I was interested in. Lots of great stuff in there, and the experience meant that I spent a chunk of cash with them later in the year on a synth rather than go to someone else. [/quote]
I went to Andertons in April with a chunk of cash for a present to myself for my 50th as I was in Guildford for a course for work. They too set me up in said cave and let we wander in and out A/B-ing guitars for nearly two hours before settling on the second one I tried (Wine Red Epiphone Swingster). They couldn't have been more helpful.