Why become a member? ×

Moog Taurus prices

spectoremg

The asking / selling price of the Taurus 1's goes up and down all the time. When I say down it isn't low or cheap.
I bought my first set around 10 years ago for £1100 from the USA. I ended up selling them a couple of years ago for just under 3K.
I was offered this amount for them by a band that was playing at the Albert Hall and their set had failed.

I have had a few sets of Taurus 1 but now only have the Taurus 3.
All the Taurus 1's had contact problems as they aged. They needed a lot of tlc to keep them reliable for live use.

The T 3's sound exactly the same to me and have proved totally reliable as well as having loads more voices.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/Taurus13.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by gelfin

Hi gelfin. I'm pretty much a Taurus nut. From around the time Mike Rutherford stood on a set in the mid-'70's and I've followed the progress of the Mk.3 since there inception (I even considered putting down a deposit for the first 500 I think). As I said before I get what I want on a much smaller budget but after my imminent lottery win I'll be in the market :)

I have the set for sale on BC, i have had taurus since 1979, i have owned 5 sets of mk1s, one set of taurus II and a set of mk3, in my opinion you can't match the sound and design of the original mk1, i found the t3 overly bright and the sound was not the same as the original, i sold them on, the price of the taurus is for rarity and the sound they make they did not make that many of the T1s, they are rarer than the mini moog , it is like all vintage gear guitars etc 59 les paul etc etc you have to pay the going rate if you want them or need them in your set up, it is usually the big boys of rock that own the taurus, the set i have are totally original no parts missing, no holes drilled in the legs, no internal mods, and in supreme condition for a 40 year old synth. that is why they are the price they are. i have had plenty of offers so far mostly from abroad, so there are people willing to splash the cash on them.

Edited by geofio

I bought mine in 2000 for about £500, sold them on a couple of years ago for £2k, but some of that profit was eaten up in servicing (I had the microswitch job done) and a custom flight case and osteopath charges.

I've got the T3 now, but if I was to start again I'd go Minitaur + midi pedals as well. What's the benefit of McMillen over a PK-5?

If someone can recommend reasonable midi bass pedals then I'd also be interested. I run synth gear (non-vintage, mainly analogue, including a shiny new Moog Sub 37) and have never got round to trying to play bass/guitar and that at the same time!

Love the Taurus but don't want to have to learn to drive a forklift in order to move it.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1422015174' post='2667734']
If someone can recommend reasonable midi bass pedals then I'd also be interested. I run synth gear (non-vintage, mainly analogue, including a shiny new Moog Sub 37) and have never got round to trying to play bass/guitar and that at the same time!

Love the Taurus but don't want to have to learn to drive a forklift in order to move it.
[/quote]

My Taurus backup is a Novation Basstation with Kenton midi foot-pedals. Looks like Kenton don't do the foot-pedals any more though (website at http://www.kentonuk.com), A lot of people use Roland PK-5 pedals.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1422003537' post='2667539']
What's the benefit of McMillen over a PK-5?
[/quote]

Smaller and lighter mainly from what I've read. I have some PK5's but not using them in current band. If I were to get back into providing synth backing in a band I'd probably have a serious look at the 12-step.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1422016615' post='2667766']
My Taurus backup is a Novation Basstation with Kenton midi foot-pedals. Looks like Kenton don't do the foot-pedals any more though (website at [url="http://www.kentonuk.com"]http://www.kentonuk.com[/url]), A lot of people use Roland PK-5 pedals.
[/quote]

I've seen Kentons on occasional sale on ebay. I'd be planning one using pedals with either Arturia Microbrute (tiny thing, pure evil tone!) or Moog depending on circumstances. I've not had a go with the Basstation, always been interested in trying out.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1422019802' post='2667816']
Smaller and lighter mainly from what I've read. I have some PK5's but not using them in current band. If I were to get back into providing synth backing in a band I'd probably have a serious look at the 12-step.
[/quote]

Oooh, I've not seen them before. Relatively inexpensive compared to the PK5/PK6 too, and way more portable. Very cool!

The only main downside with the 12-step is that if you have more oldschool sound modules then you need the extra box in addition to the 12-step as it only exports info via a USB (I think, its a while since I checked the spec) so you need another box to go between the 12-step and a conventional MIDI sound module. McMillen sell the box, think it's about £70-£80 so doesn't break the bank but it's another box that needs to be set up and powered. I'd hav epreferred there to be a conventional MIDI out on the 12-step as well as a USB but it's all moving toward laptop driven sound sources so can see why they designed it that way.

The midi box looks to be about 40 quid (I've had a look), and as for powering it looks like the midi box will power the pedal via the USB cable.

Hadn't thought about latency. Wouldn't think that it would be too bad through a dedicated interface, and it's midi being transmitted as opposed to audio, but it would definitely be something to try.

It's the sort of thing that would be good to do at a basschat meet if someone had a 12 step/midi expander and another had a set of pedals you could A/B them with the same sound module to check latency and other performance differences. I've not seen anyone in a live band using a 12-step yet to get feedback from though. I probably ought to chat with Billy Sheehan!

Edited by KevB

MIDI conversion can be really terrible for latency.

I imagine that this why the original Taurus pedals are still so sought after. Being all analogue there are no conversion processes to introduce latency between pressing the pedal and generating the note. At worst you have envelope attack lag to deal with.

I can't say I've ever noticed any real problems playing along to things with PK-5's direct to a sound module via a MIDI cable, as long as the patch I've created is meant to come in 'instantly' it sounds like it does to my ears, doesn't sound delayed. It can't be absolutley instantaneous obviously but it never sounded 'behind' the rest of the band when I was doing it live.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1422030240' post='2668007']
I can't say I've ever noticed any real problems playing along to things with PK-5's direct to a sound module via a MIDI cable, as long as the patch I've created is meant to come in 'instantly' it sounds like it does to my ears, doesn't sound delayed. It can't be absolutley instantaneous obviously but it never sounded 'behind' the rest of the band when I was doing it live.
[/quote]

That shouldn't be too bad. You've got pedals that are designed to produce a MIDI output first and foremost, and in that system the majority of the latency will come from the the sound module itself.

Problems occur when you are having to convert one kind of digital data (USB) into another (MIDI). At a certain point all those little unnoticeable latencies add up to something that is going to have an impact of the timing of your notes.

I've never noticed any latency - I think it depends on how you set the patch up.
The other thing worth mentioning with the Minitaur is that for patch selection and programming your gonna need some kind of software support, ie a laptop or tablet. You can select patches on the front panel but I'd say it's easier with a visual representation of the patch banks.
And yes there's a vid of Billy Sheehan using them live and also one of Doug Wimbish in one of those rig rundown vids. If they're good enough for those guys...
On a general note, I'm surprised that one of the synth manufacturers didn't pick up the Taurus baton over the years and make a stand alone Moog clone with the four sounds from the original that everybody wanted.

spectoremg , lol to be honest all the interest has come from abroad, france, norway, usa, if i wanted i could sell them right now, i wouldn't worry yourself about my particular pedals selling they will sell lol. how do you know what interest i have had from the guys on bass chat?? not everyone can afford these pedals they are going to certain type of buyer , and they are advertised elsewhere, one thing i have not had is lack of interest i can assure you of that. for your info as a minitaur owner and Taurus owner, the minitaur does a good job but the original taurus has it's own unique sound that even the T3 could not capture, i know as i have owned all three and compared them all. minitaur is ok a bit hit and miss with the editing software, but gives you the moog sound for not a lot of dosh.

Edited by geofio

It is true that nothing sounds exactly the same as the original taurus, due to the peculiarities in its circuit that weren't really repeated. But that is largely true of most synths, they all had quirks. The minitaur has its own sounds and is objectively better, but not if you want the particular sound of the taurus 1.
Obviously that isn't what you are paying for though, if you wanted those sounds you can build a taurus 1 pretty cheap, you are paying for a rare thing, like a 50's / 60s P bass / less paul / strat etc, and they are very uncommon, so yes, they are worth more.

Edited by Woodinblack