Why become a member? ×

Moog Taurus prices

spectoremg

As I've said previously I've loved this instrument since it's release - a fantastic one trick pony. But the mantra dictates that 'nothing sounds like the original Taurus'. The last two times I've seen Steve Hackett, with his own material and the Genesis tribute tour his guys have used a Roland PK-5 with a synth module. He didn't know which module when I emailed his website. He did say that they'd given up with their Taurus cos it quote 'fell to bits'. Whatever, I couldn't tell the difference; it was a thunderous, buzzy, throbbing sawtooth sound to me, just like the originals.
I wouldn't personally pay that kind of cash just as I wouldn't pay daft money for a '75 Ford Cortina Mk.III.

we each have our choices and we have our own interest some guys guitars paying £30,000 for a 59 les paul or whatever, whether you agree or disagree the taurus has a value in the used market love it or hate it, nick beggs played Taurus 1 with hackett. lee pomeroy plays taurus 1 although his are pretty beat up. and to be honest for a 40 year old instrument they have survived pretty well.

what is your problem mate, why does me selling taurus pedals upset you so much?? i know my facts pretty well, i have been playing this instrument for 34 years, in fact i was in conversation with Lee pomeroy the other night and he still uses his set of mk1s live. so i think he should know if he uses them or not. any way who cares the pedals will fetch good money end of.

Edited by geofio

I don't have a problem with you selling stuff, I have a problem with you insisting that they're god's gift to the Taurus sound. I'm aware that Lee owns a set; he uses them with It Bites. But check out the pic - PK-5 at his feet.
I suspect (and I may be mistaken) that Steve Hackett's outboard gear, including his bass pedals (two sets - his sax player uses them too), come with the PA hire. Easy to use, reliable and oh yes, cheap!

Edited by spectoremg

I think £3k is an ambitious price, but if someone's willing to pay that much, then that's exactly what they're worth. Good luck with it!

"Nothing sounds like the T1": well, the T3 and Minitaur sound like it, and the T2 less so - but of course not exactly like it, to the discerning ear in an otherwise quiet studio. In a gig, I'm going to go with the most reliable and easiest to transport option that sounds "like" a T1.

Also, my T1 became unreliable precisely because I'd left all the original internals in place. Replacing the contacts with microswitches gave my buyer confidence in the purchase (as did the advertising, dig deep enough on basschat and you'll find the ad that sold the T1s). Incidentally, like your interested parties he was overseas as well, so for the doubters there is definitely a market there.

ps. I can't remember what Nick Beggs used at the recent Hammersmith Odeon Steve hackett gig, but his T1 was sold on eBay in 2011 by a third party, see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moog-Taurus-MK-1-bass-pedals-Yes-Genesis-Steve-Hackett-/150593693851 - for a modest £1200. The pics have gone now but apparently there was a Firth Of Fifth chord chart still stuck on top :)

I am in no hurry to sell, if i sell, may just hang on to them not too many sets are fully original no repairs at all apart from contact servicing. which is done by the right guy properly. the sets used by Hackett and others are hammered, my set is in nice condition well looked after hence the high price.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1422185074' post='2669519']
I think £3k is an ambitious price, but if someone's willing to pay that much, then that's exactly what they're worth. Good luck with it!

[b]"Nothing sounds like the T1": well, the T3 and Minitaur sound like it, and the T2 less so[/b] - but of course not exactly like it, to the discerning ear in an otherwise quiet studio. In a gig, I'm going to go with the most reliable and easiest to transport option that sounds "like" a T1.

Also, my T1 became unreliable precisely because I'd left all the original internals in place. Replacing the contacts with microswitches gave my buyer confidence in the purchase (as did the advertising, dig deep enough on basschat and you'll find the ad that sold the T1s). Incidentally, like your interested parties he was overseas as well, so for the doubters there is definitely a market there.

ps. I can't remember what Nick Beggs used at the recent Hammersmith Odeon Steve hackett gig, but his T1 was sold on eBay in 2011 by a third party, see [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moog-Taurus-MK-1-bass-pedals-Yes-Genesis-Steve-Hackett-/150593693851"]http://www.ebay.co.u...t-/150593693851[/url] - for a modest £1200. The pics have gone now but apparently there was a Firth Of Fifth chord chart still stuck on top :)
[/quote]

Well INMHO with careful adjustment of parameters the T3's can sound identical to the T1's. I have had both together played through the same system.
None of the blind listeners could accurately tell the difference and certainly in a live situation no one can tell.

The T3 has the analogue circuitry of the T1, so yes, it can sound the same as a new T1 would, except the T1s are 30 years old so will have drifted a bit, so will sound a little different, but no different to how two T1s sound from each other.
The T2 on the other hand is a completely different circuit, so I suspect the minitaur could get closer to a T1 than a T2. But I have never played with a minitaur (or a T3).