Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamer STD

Jakester

Afternoon, all.

I have happened across what claims to be a Warwick Streamer STD on my travels.

Two MEC humbuckers, VVT passive controls, jack on the front, single-piece bridge - it all seems to tally with what I've been able to find on Google, here and the Warwick site.

However, the body appears (to my admittedly untrained eye) to be bubinga. It's that dark reddish brown colour that everyone imagines when you say Thumb or Corvette. Now, it could be a stain, but I can't find details of the colours that were offered on the STD range - any ideas?

From my limited researches, the interweb suggests that the Streamer STD is better than a Rockbass, but not as good a Proline. Is this a fair assessment?

I had a couple of minutes hands-on with it and it played beatifully, so would quite like to take my interest further, but would like a bit more knowledge before I commit myself!

I have never owned a Streamer STD and not completely up on them, but what I do know is the bodywood is Carolena in various stains and the neck is Ovankgol. These are made in germany and eventually turned into the Rockbass ranged and moved overseas. Solid basses, built in germany and have identical necks to the higher end Bolt-On Warwick models, great value basses!

By Proline you are referring to the Corvette Proline and this is just another instrument in the range. This would have been the entry level Warwick at the time, with the next step up being the Corvette standard.

Edited by Kev

I have a '99 Streamer Std, with a Basswood body and Wenge neck. Fitted a Badass II bridge and gave the light natural finished body a sanding and stained to match the neck. Quite a light body, so the resulting neck dive was cured with a suede strap.

[quote name='Turk' timestamp='1421872246' post='2666123']
I have a '99 Streamer Std, with a Basswood body and Wenge neck. Fitted a Badass II bridge and gave the light natural finished body a sanding and stained to match the neck. Quite a light body, so the resulting neck dive was cured with a suede strap.

[/quote]

Wenge? Awesome! Certainly will be one of very few STD models that has a wenge neck, I did not even realise there was an overlap. Still looks like a Carolena Pine body though, although that could just as easily be another name for Basswood, I have never heard of the stuff other than on Warwick basses!

To the OP, £475? If you have played it and it feels great then buy it, however you could find one for less, that is Corvette/Corvette Proline money. But again, if it plays well and you want it then go for it! :D

Edited by Kev

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddalziel/15713945534/"]https://www.flickr.c...el/15713945534/[/url] [url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddalziel/16150188259/in/photostream/"]https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/[/url] This is mine, got it about 12 years ago for about £470 then..it's been great & the neck is beautiful,the body has little ripples in the wood that make it nice to touch too!

Edited by dieseldalziel

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1421867487' post='2666039']
I think around £475ish.
[/quote]

not worth anyway near that in my opinion. I picked one up for a fellow members on here not too long ago and it was less than £200 to buy it and post it.

Wait and get a proper German corvette I'd say. Saw them go (and I have bought/sold) for much less than that!

Streamer std's were @£600+ when they were launched in the late '90's.
Apart from the chunky Necks & the quiet output, they were proper,German built, bolt on necked Warwicks.
My 2 x p/up, active Streamer std that I bought off of here a few years back is a great little 'workhorse' which I'm glad I snapped up for £250 & made a worthy addition to my 3 other 'wicks.
Your find seems overpriced, especially with the wear & tear but if you can negotiate a better price?

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:150353]

Edited by Bassman68

Cheers all - I went back and have pulled the trigger - £350 plus some Squier bits I had hanging around (which I was only going to have sell anyway).

Possibly a touch on the rich side, but I'm happy enough.

It's a 5'er 2 pup passive - not noticeably quiet to me.

Very pleased though - it has exactly the 'burpiness' I was looking for - a mid-heavy, quite 80's-fusion-esque sound, and when I played it through my envelope filter it was evil.

I hadn't noticed the neck being especially thick - the main reason I was attracted to it was because the neck felt really playable to me, and an hour's noodling has confirmed this. Though it must be said it was strung E-C, rather than B-G, so that made it quite a lot easier to play! I stuck a set of 125-45s on and it still feels easy enough to play - I've had a couple of other 5'ers, USA and Tribby G&L 2500s and this seems much easier.

Some v quick phone pics (apologies for laundry basket encroachment):

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1421877340' post='2666210']
Wenge? Awesome! Certainly will be one of very few STD models that has a wenge neck, I did not even realise there was an overlap. Still looks like a Carolena Pine body though, although that could just as easily be another name for Basswood, I have never heard of the stuff other than on Warwick basses!
[/quote]

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#252525]Found this on 'Basswood':[/color][/font][/size]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4][color=#252525]Tilia is a ge[/color]nus[color=#252525] of about 30 [/color]species[color=#252525] of trees n[/color]ative[color=#252525] throughout most of the t[/color]emperate[color=#252525] Northern Hemisphere. [/color]Commonly[color=#252525] called[b] Lime trees [/b]in [/color][color=#252525]the British Isles. They are not closely related to the lime [/color][color=#252525]fruit. Other names include Linden [/color][color=#252525]and [b]Basswood[/b].[/color][/size][/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=4][color=#252525]Ease of working and good [/color]acoustic[color=#252525] properties also make it popular for [/color]electric guitar[color=#252525] and bass[/color][color=#252525] bodies and wind instruments [/color][color=#252525]such as recorders. In the percussion industry Tilia[/color][color=#252525] is sometimes used as a material for drum shells, both to enhance sound and aesthetics.[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#252525][size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Well ya live 'n' learn !![/font] [/size] :D[/color]

Edited by Turk