Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

That's a pretty standard PA of what I (and others) used to call 'Band in a Box'.

It's pretty much a set and forget type thing in that you won't be fading instruments up and down like you would with a mixer that has faders and gain (input trim).

Lots of bands use them.

[size=4]Here's ours... :mellow: [/size]

Well, we use it as a bass amp now, but it was a very fine PA head for years in the late '70s.

No, you don't need trim. It's better with, of course, but the levels going in from your mics are probably within reasonable tolerance (if not, change your mics..! :lol: ).
You won't get all the finesse of a fully-blown Crest in such a PA, so accept its limitations and rejoice in its advantages. You won't miss any gigs because you've no trim..! ;)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1421453547' post='2661632']
Great, thanks guys. So long as it does the job!

I'm not keen to spend too much as I can't help feeling that singers should have their own gear like the rest of us! Still, sometimes better to provide a solution than moan about it.
[/quote]

Remember you will get what you pay for! I would recommend a used Peavey XR pa head, they are pretty much the industry standard as they are pretty much bullet proof and bang for buck are louder than anything else rated the same power, we have an XR600 for smaller gigs and if we need more channels we have an XR800F for the bigger gigs.

We have gigged both constantly over the past 6 years and have never had a failure from either amp, they get serviced every other year and just seem to be totally reliable

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1421495532' post='2661941']
Remember you will get what you pay for! I would recommend a used Peavey XR pa head, they are pretty much the industry standard as they are pretty much bullet proof and bang for buck are louder than anything else rated the same power, we have an XR600 for smaller gigs and if we need more channels we have an XR800F for the bigger gigs.

We have gigged both constantly over the past 6 years and have never had a failure from either amp, they get serviced every other year and just seem to be totally reliable
[/quote]

Unfortunately yes you do get what you pay for however maybe a used head wouldn't be such a good idea?

you never know how its been treated before it gets to you

it could be serviced every year like yours and of course it'll be totally bullet proof and in great condition

or

it could've sat in a rehearsal room for 10 years being ragged to within an inch of its life all day every day and never been serviced

i'm not sure of the OP's level of knowledge when it comes to PA systems and so it could be difficult to notice the latter from the former

I would err on the side of caution and a warranty but yes if you can spring for it Peavey gear despite its reputation as dj gear is pretty solid

If I buy anything like an amp as 'pre-owned' it gets to see my amptech before I even think about using it.
I've just had as call about an amp I bought recently that
'might need the output valve sockets cleaning, 'cos it's been standing empty, y'know dust 'n' that'.......
Even as I type, tech is replacing the whole set of output bases, one of which has evidence of flash-over.....he'll check the caps as well as electrical safety while he's in there....live long & be happy....

:)

The amp linked in the OP doesn't have any individual channel send controls for the monitor mix - you definately want to be able to control the levels of each channel going to your foldback independantly of what is being send to FOH if you are going to be using more than one microphone or amplifying both instruments and vocals IMHO.

What speakers are you going to use? If I was starting again now I would keep my Mackie proFX12 desk but I would get a pair of powered cabs instead of the passive Mackies and power amp I have, I like that the desk gets put safe in its gig bag under the bed, pair of covers for the cabs and they can be left in the garage, 3 items and a pair of stands and hey presto, a really loud pa :)

I don't think the little mixer will be the problem. Those speakers at that price are likely to be very limited. I note that they are rated at 113dB peak, if you are playing with a drummer then you really need to achieve 120dB to give your vocals any headroom at all. Given that it costs me £50 to build a box it's likely to have very poor speakers in. There's no horn and my hi fi speakers go as loud as these. They'll just be loud enough to play acoustically but not with a band. They aren't likely to sound too good either.

I've the full range of kit and sometimes when we play smaller venues I limit myself to using the amp from a Yamaha Stagepas 300, a very simple 4channel mixer amp with only bass,treble and volume on each channel, but I put this through some proper PA speakers. (Yamaha S112V's) this raises the output from 113dB to 120dB meaning the amp has plenty of headroom and isn't constantly distorting.

If you want to keep to that sort of budget you might want to go for the amp but look for some used PA speakers. There are some bargains out there but avoid Peavey PA speakers, dead reliable but the horn drivers they use are awful. No vocal clarity at all. Their amps are great.