Why become a member? ×

Old Fart....New Bass

teddyt

well I just got my first bass a Ashton ab400 Cost me £30 so I know its a quality instrument :D :D
any jealous comments from Fender/Warwick etc owners will be ignored :P

anyway just had a quick go and it seems more than good enough for me to try and learn on. And if i take to it a decent bass will be sort ( may even spend over £70)

I know Ashtons are frowned upon but as i say... rather waste £30 than £300/400.

if anyone knows about these basses please let me know
thanks

Why are Ashtons frowned upon?

I don't know anything about their basses but I bought one of their cheap acoustic guitars years ago when I was bored on holiday & it's worked fine and sounds ok to my ears.

I'm sure it'll be fine for you to learn on, if you get into it you could even make a few modifications & not worry if you mess them up as it's so cheap.

Welcome!

I think anyone who frowns upon someone else's gear is probably a bit immature and probably buys instruments to impress others, so if anyone gives you any sort of gear snobbery ignore them.

Instruments are a very personal thing so whether it costs £30 or £3,000 as long as it works for you and what you're doing then thats all that bloody matters!

Enjoy the challenge and remember you wont wake up one day and be amazing at it - keep practicing!

Basschat is a great forum with lots and lots of friendly users, you can get help with anything to with Bass all the way to how to deal with annoying neighbours.

Edited by Weststarx

Welcome to BC
Don't worry about Ashtons being frowned upon
I'm sure it's good enough, and for that money, you can't go wrong

In my first spell of bass playing (back in the early 80's)
Cheap basses could be really awful!
My first, a Kay (the catalogue company) Rick copy
was just the most awful piece of firewood imaginable!

You would tune it, fine
But some positions on the neck were quite a way out of tune
I suspect the cheapo neck was well twisted
But the rest of the bass was no better....

Get an experienced player to give your bass the once over
and if it's OK, then you've got a bargain....

Good luck, and just keep playing :)

I'll also add that, Ashton, like many budget brands & makes - can be assessed for weak points (like tuners that slip or a weak output jack), be upgraded - and become a great all rounder.

I've a thomann budget bass - a Harley Benton PJ - Aside from the tuners it's great. I haven't replaced them as I picked up a different bass since, but If your Ashton is as good as some of the SX, Harley Benton, and other budget "beginner" instruments - good for you. You could tour the world with gear like that and never need a backup (although you'd probably want one!).

Sorry if I'm coming across as snapping at you - sometimes it's hard to convey tone in text. I'm happy for you, and optimistic the bass will be adequate for your learning and performance needs.

thanks guys. to be honest I am really pleased with it,for a budget make it appears to be pretty solid, and today I picked up a BC Rich Warlock in fantastic Condition for £75 :yarr:
though my son has now claimed it!! and has'nt stopped playing it :angry:
Well I suppose it's my fault as the first thing I said to him was"check this out for me, to make sure it works ok".

[quote name='teddyt' timestamp='1420679752' post='2652195']
thanks guys. to be honest I am really pleased with it,for a budget make it appears to be pretty solid, and today I picked up a BC Rich Warlock in fantastic Condition for £75 :yarr:
Well I suppose it's my fault as the first thing I said to him was"check this out for me, to make sure it works ok".
[/quote]

Cool stuff - but I'll bet the Ashton is easier to play sitting down than the Warlock!

[quote name='teddyt' timestamp='1420679752' post='2652195']
[/quote]

Ha, you've lost that bass then ;)

Actually, I have my son to partly thank, for getting me back into bass
After an absence of around 25 years from playing

One Christmas, his Mum bought him a bass (which I didn't know she was going to do)
this made me dig my old Ibanez Roadstar out..... (with 20 odd years of dust, and rusty strings!)

After just a few months of playing he became really good.....

One good thing is - if you're both learning together, you can help inspire each other :)

Edited by Marc S

This old fart started learning 4 years ago on a Marlin Sidewinder. It was free, having been left behind by an Ex. I didn't realise at the time that it was the most despised bass in the world! It seemed fine to me :-)
Six months later (having joined Basschat) I traded it in for a second hand Mexican Fender P costing £320. Haven't looked back since
But the old Marlin was fine for learning on really. Main drawback was that it was a bit heavy, but that's not a problem when you're learning as you're mostly sitting down!

Welcome to the world of bass - it will bring you joy, whatever bass you settle on eventually! :-)

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1421340338' post='2660142']
To the OP, do yourself a favor and get an experienced hand do a good set-up on the bass. Your hands will thank you for it. It is so much easier to learn on a well set-up instrument.

<><Peace
[/quote]

Agree with this! Got my Fender P set up by the guitar tech at PMT in Brum. Normally he charges £40, but he only charged me £25 cos he said there wasn't much wrong with it. I thought this was extremely fair! He could have claimed to have done all sorts to it and I would have been none the wiser :-0

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1420630478' post='2651439']
Welcome!

I think anyone who frowns upon someone else's gear is probably a bit immature and probably buys instruments to impress others, so if anyone gives you any sort of gear snobbery ignore them.

Instruments are a very personal thing so whether it costs £30 or £3,000 as long as it works for you and what you're doing then thats all that bloody matters!

Enjoy the challenge and remember you wont wake up one day and be amazing at it - keep practicing!

Basschat is a great forum with lots and lots of friendly users, you can get help with anything to with Bass all the way to how to deal with annoying neighbours.
[/quote]This! :-)