Why become a member? ×

American Standard Precision Question

luckman67

Hopefully next week I should be the owner of a brand new American standard Precision bass. This is my question I'm thinking of putting flatwounds on it still in the same gauge 45-105, could I just put them straight on or would I have to redo the truss rod due to the tension of the flatwounds? Thanks in advance :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1420548027' post='2650454']
Change the strings one at a time, so you maintain the pull on the neck and see what happens.

Flats don't necessarily have a higher tension so probably nothing will need to be done.
[/quote]

This is not necessary really. The bass is new, so the neck will probably settle into the british winter, but changing strings one at a time, though I can see you logic, Is not necessary.

You should be able to set your bass up nicely with flats, but you will probably need to tighten the truss rod depending (as mentioned above) on what you put on. Not all flats have the same tension. Thomastik Infeld are what I have on my P bass, they are low tension, and very easy to play on. Something like a DR flats (Legend) are quite hard to play on. Labella flats are also low tension, so will be softer on the hands and the neck just like the Thomastiks. Some of the American guys rave about Pyramid flats, I'd never heard of them but I think you'd need to get them from Europe. Supposed to be very nice. Do some research, there are some really nasty feeling flats out there (IMO). The Thomastiks are expensive but very easy to play on and very growly and warm. It's a different world!

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1420548625' post='2650465']
I have just had D'addario Flatwounds of 55-105 put on my American standard Precision bass. They were put on by a local Luthier who did not need to make any adjustment to the truss rod. I went the route of having them installed for that very concern.
[/quote] These are the one's I'm looking at though I would like to stay with the 45-105, or maybe the 50 - 105

Edited by luckman67

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1420549009' post='2650471']
[i]I have asked the shop to set the action for me as low as possible and buzz free. I will see how it arrives with the Fender factory strings. [/i]
[/quote]
I just got some 7250s (common std fitment) and they are pretty good

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1420540951' post='2650351']
Hopefully next week I should be the owner of a brand new American standard Precision bass. This is my question I'm thinking of putting flatwounds on it still in the same gauge 45-105, could I just put them straight on or would I have to redo the truss rod due to the tension of the flatwounds? Thanks in advance :)
[/quote]
What flats?

If you want a pretty much guarantee no setup then use TI's the tension is akin to rounds.

I got an American Standard Precision earlier last year. I was incredibly impressed with the setup out of the box compared to that on a different Fender P I had bought the year before.

I switched the stock strings out for LaBella flats (45-105) and nothing needed doing immediately. Lovely action just where I wanted it. I tweaked it slightly a couple of months later, but really very little needed doing to it.

Lovely, lovely bass. You will adore it!

I put Lakland flats on my 5 string Lull and didn't have to alter the truss rod. 2 years later, I still haven't.

Don't worry about stuff that might not happen, and certainly don't spend £40-£50 on a set of strings for the wrong reason.

Pick the strings based on what you want from them. You need strings that feel the best to you, which you prefer to play and have the sound you want.

I have never used flatwound strings only ever used roundwound,from when I started playing bass back in 1987. And some of the videos I've watched the players have left their flatwound strings on for years. Apparently Klaus Voorman has had the same set on for decades.

Flats have a particular sound. They are very different so you should know what that is in comparison to the rounds you've been using.

There is no "one set" of flats. They all sound and feel very different to each other. There are people who can't stand one make and prefer another make..... you need to do more home work before you decide.

As I said, don't even think about the truss rod. Just concentrate on getting the strings you like.

ps
Start finding out with the Flats on my 'Ray thread, and go from there.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1420618871' post='2651274']
I have never used flatwound strings only ever used roundwound,from when I started playing bass back in 1987. And some of the videos I've watched the players have left their flatwound strings on for years. Apparently Klaus Voorman has had the same set on for decades.
[/quote]

Love flats but they can be a bit weird. The Daddarios I use don't seem to have the richness that rounds have when they are new but as they age they thicken up. One set I use are now ten years old and just amazing, woody with the tone open and dense like treacle with it off.

I'd be surprised if you need to adjust the truss rod. I used to have a USA P and swapped strings all the time between rounds, flats as well as different gauges. The only time I needed to tweak the trus rod was with James Jamerson flats, mind you they're like bridge cables :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the advice gentlemen yesterday,I got a set of Fender 9050L flatwound strings & changed them one by one. The neck is fine and after using roundwound strings for the past 27 years, it does feel a bit strange but sounds good through my Fender Rumble 200 B) .