Why become a member? ×

Hints & Tips for auditioning vocalists

DrBike

I've recently started up a new covers band - initially as a 3 piece. Although we're each reasonable singers (and I sang lead vocals in my last band as well as playing bass) after a few practices we've decided that we really need a "proper" singer for the band to reach it's potential.

I've posted on JoinMyBand and have a couple of guys who seem like they fit the ticket, now I'm setting up "auditions".

I know that a lot of the time it's down to "Chemistry" but has anyone got any advice on how to get the best out of the auditions?
Should I get them both in together for a X-Factor sing off style or get them in separately?
I'll sort out a list of songs so they won't be singing "blind".

The polite and considerate approach is to audition them separately, with enough of a gap that one can't hear the other while they're waiting.

Don't forget to assess their [i]timing[/i], not just pitch and power. It is murder to work with a singer with 'off' timing!

This has got to be more difficult than auditioning a muso cos' of keys. Unless your expecting "the one" to be able to do everything in copy key in which case you
may be auditioning for a long time.

I can't remember the last time I was involved in auditions for a vocalist so no practical advice to give I'm afraid.

If I had to do it I'd be tempted to send them your set list and the keys and ask them to learn however many you decide you want, that they feel they can do in the key you play them in.

Be interested to know how you actually decide to go about this so do let us know.

Good luck

Les

Which ever one you dislike most will be the best front man for you, self centered, arrogant, opinionated gits seem to make mighty fine singers, ours turned up with a vocal PA set it up in the kitchen (we were set up in the workroom) and then set about singing to a backing tape rather than letting us play and him joining in.....six years later he is still a great singer and still a pain in the ass

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1420198598' post='2646545']
The polite and considerate approach is to audition them separately, with enough of a gap that one can't hear the other while they're waiting.
[/quote]
That might be easier said than done, but I'll try to see what I can sort out.

Don't forget to assess their [i]timing[/i], not just pitch and power. It is murder to work with a singer with 'off' timing!
[/quote]
The last band had 2 guitards with dubious timing, hence the new band.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1420199433' post='2646562']
Put a mirror up in the rehearsal studio and the one that spends least time in front of it gets the job. Alternatively, the one who asks if you need a hand to pack up the gear afterwards. :P
[/quote]
Noted

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1420200881' post='2646587']
Which ever one you dislike most will be the best front man for you, self centered, arrogant, opinionated gits seem to make mighty fine singers...
[/quote]
Also noted :)

Thanks for the responses everyone

We've just recruited a new singer, broadly following Les' plan. I trawled the usual muso websites looking for "Singer available" posts. I sent our current setlist and keys to prospective singers, asking each person to choose 5 songs and to let us know in advance which ones they'd chosen. Then I sent them rehearsal recordings so they could familiarise themselves with our starts, endings and arrangements. We did it like this to give the singers some control and choice over songs, and so they had no excuses for turning up not knowing some songs. We didn't invite them to an "Audition" - we tried to take some pressure off by calling it "an initial jam/meet-up". Two people per night, separated by 20 mins. Meet them at reception. Be as helpful and friendly as possible - good singers are very hard to find. I didn't email them afterwards - I rang them to offer some comments and feedback.

We managed to recruit somebody with a lot of experience singing in vocal harmony groups, but not in bands. So far, she's been a breath of fresh air, but it's early days.

Good luck with your search - we all know that good, experienced, friendly, helpful, non-egotistical, audience-aware singers are rare as hen's teeth, so you'll have to be prepared to be flexible, helpful and accommodating with your approach.

Steve

We found our guitarist on Join My Band and before I posted the advert there I'd looked around to see if there were postings of singers looking for bands (and asked around other bands I know about the best places to look). At the moment there are 2 showing interest.

Since we're a covers band and none of the songs are particularly obscure or out of the ordinary I'd expect any reasonable singer to know the songs and I've sent out a list of 6 for them to choose from. The only thing that I'm expecting that we might have to do is a key change, but for some songs that's not so straight forward.

Definitely seperately! Unless you're holding an open audition it'd just be awkward. If they are a front man/woman then they should be able to take centre stage. Especially for functions bands, they should be self aware and confident enough to adapt to the situation and act appropriately as required for the gig.
Of course, ability, versatility and likeability are vital! Good luck!

If you can record everything while auditioning then sit down as a band and listen to it you may notice something that you miss while you're all playing.

One guy that we auditioned, for an old covers band that I was in, had great attitude and a fantastic tone to his voice. Things in the room were really rocking out and we were ready to offer it to him there and then.

When we later gathered to listen to the recordings we noticed that his pitch was all over the place and his timing was really off on the critical phrases.

OK - tonight is the night. We've got 2 guys coming along and I've scheduled one from 7:45 til 8:45 and one from 9 til 10.

I'll post tomorrow with the "feedback"

Thanks for the input so far.

Edited by DrBike

Best of luck. Hopefully both will turn up!

Getting some kind of recording of the session is a good idea, for reasons mentioned by Dave above.

Just be sure to punt the first guy out in plenty time, because the second might be on the ball and turn up a bit early ... you don't want them scratching each others eyes out in the hall. :)

The polite and considerate approach is to audition them separately, with enough of a gap that one can't hear the other while they're waiting.[/quote]

+1 You definitely want to do this. Scheduling vocalist together where they can hear each others audition would come off as unprofessional. If I was auditioning bass and showed up and there were other bass players there watching I'd bail on the audition.

Blue

Well they both turned up and on time (or even a slightly bit early). There was overlap in that the 2nd one arrived before the first one had left, but at that stage we were just talking rather than playing.

I won't go into too much detail, but both of them seemed relatively "normal" and there weren't any obvious personality defects. One came prepared with a mic, a vocal effect pedal (one of the TC Helicon ones) and an iPad with the lyrics on and also set lists/lyrics from other bands, the other didn't. It was a relatively easy decision for us.

We managed to record them both too and the playback of the recording confirmed our initial feeling. In fact with the preferred singer we actually played some of the best versions of the songs that we've done to date (I knew that things were going well when our guitarist threw his trademark "Inspector Gadget" riff into one of the songs).

Ask them to sing all of the operatic vocal parts from bohemian rhapsody to you whilst you sit stern faced as a panel of fierce critics.
If they don't at least have a go and piss themselves laughing in the process, well...... Clearly they take them selves far too seriously. Often the greatest flaw with front men/ women ..... ? People ? .....? Front bums.

Edited by Wonky2