Why become a member? ×

Starting a small PA journey

gt4ever

Hey people,

I'm in a 4 piece rock cover band and we've always begged borrowed and hired PA systems to get us by but I'm starting to feel like we need our own system so that the sound is more consistent. I've always let the singer and guitarist set it all up so my PA knowledge is limited. Initially it would only be 3 vocals going through, main and 2 backing, with the possibility of adding kick and bass etc when we get some subs. We only ever need a PA for pubs and small functions. I am initially thinking a passive system with a powered mixer, 2x10 or 12" and a monitor. Only myself and the guitarist can invest, so I was going to buy the mixer and he'd get the speakers. I was looking at the Yamaha EMX5016CF as a contender for the mixer. Anyone with experiences of it or any other suggestions? Any good suggestions for passive 10 or 12" speakers to compliment the mixer? Thanks in advance.

Rich

Yamaha gear is very good value for money, so no prob there.

One point of note is that if you buy a powered mixer you will find it more difficult to 'upgrade'; sep' amp and mixer means you can upgrade either as and when. Don't forget to look at powered speakers and a passive (no in built power amp) desk.

Go for the most power, greatest no. inputs, largest speaker you can (assuming you are looking at same spec/quality speakers... top quality small speaker will be better than poor large dia driver).

Are you going to buy new or used? If you have the cash for used, you'll get loads more for your money. I'm not plugging BUT if you wanted a starter package to see how it goes, I have a 12 channel mixer (built in effects) and 900w power amp (450w per side into 4 ohms) you could start with for about the same money you'd pay to hire a PA for ONE pub gig (just add your own speakers).

Good luck either way. ;)

I've used the EMX5016CF for several years with EV SX300's for a 6 strong cover band. The manual is well written. The anti-feedback works well and the multi-band compression helps the vocals punch through the mix. I progressed through several mixers before ending up with this one.

I carry an EMX512SC as a back up but have never needed to use it.

It is relatively light with plenty of power for most pubs and WMC's. I recommend a good case whichever you decide on.

Working the PA is a learning curve from venue to venue. Sometimes it seem a thankless task & diplomacy is an asset. Best of luck.

Nothing wrong with what you are proposing but if I was buying new and my tech knowledge was limited I'd go for a passive mixer and a couple of active tops. Having the amp matched to the speakers has technical and practical advantages which are worthwhile. They don't come up used very often though and people are unloading their old passives so they are relatively cheap used at the moment.

Not all passives are equal though, the EV's mentioned above would be a good choice or some used Yamaha SM112V's would be cheap and use easily replaceable Eminence speakers if they ever go wrong. Not strictly accurate but they give a great vocal sound.

If you want to read up on options http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591207

Edited by Phil Starr

We use a hybrid setup of powered mixer, passive tops and powered bins. Sounds weird but it works! The bins are 15" Peavey units and I haven't had to run them on anything more than half yet (well actually once, but that was in a tent). The tops are 15" Peavey units, the crossover, main EQ, and gates are all behringer. The desk is a Phonic unit with built-in effects and gives 500w per side. Everything was bought secondhand and the total rig tops out at a rated 1900 watts. We are a five piece rock band and everything (drums, bass, 2 x guitars, main VOX, 2 x bvox) goes through the PA and is mixed by me from the side of the stage.
What we have learned is its best to keep stage volumes low (the guitarists now use 2x12 cabs rather than their old 4x12's) and that there is a lot of bull$h1t written about how powerful your PA needs to be. Just under 2k flat out covers all the pubs and small clubs we play. Anything larger we hire-in.

Yamaha always good and reliable. The best small powered mixers I've used recently were Soundcraft - either the flat/conventional type or the Gigrac, which is an upright box. On board Lexicon fx, good mic pre's and usable eq. Plenty on offer s/h. Used passive speakers can be a lottery. Stick with name stuff - EV, RCF, Peavey, etc. You can get them repaired if need be.

Thanks guys, really helpful advice. I'm only going new as I only have £200 for a deposit and go down the 0% finance route. I'd say that we want to keep the whole PA under £1800, so £900 for mixer and £900 for speakers/cables etc. I think I'm set on a powered mixer route but torn between Yamaha and Peavey as Peavey are offering 5 year warranty on their gear. Going down GAK tomorrow to see if I can see them in action.

cheers

Rich

On the basis of you'll add kick etc WHEN you get subs, I'd go for QSC K10's for vox
and they'll go loud. They'll cost £1160 for a P.A bundle, cables and stands at the mo.
That give you over £600 for a desk... and there must be a lot of choice there.

For me, I'd start around Soundcraft ... but get a decent lexicon pack onboard.
We've had too many little annoying niggles with Mackie and Behringer desks
which were resolved simply by using another desk.