Why become a member? ×

Downsizing from 2x15 to 2x12 question

DiMarco

I do think the EV 15's in the diesel cabs (and that went for my old 2x18 too) have a lot more middle, and even top, than some might imagine. I can be a bit evangelical about it but not to the extent that others are wrong (and I wasn't suggesting you had said anyone was in your posts).

Maybe what you say is right and I have just been very lucky; to find the right combination over 25 years ago and still be delighted with the sound. I don't pretend to be at the cutting edge and would be happy to find a lightweight and smaller package that sounded the same but I simply haven't and anything I've tried that claimed to be on a par just hasn't done it for me.

Horses for courses, as has already been stated.

I'd say you are looking at this the wrong way.

If you changed to a different 2x15 you'd have a different sound. You might find it better or worse, massive or maybe not as massive as your current cab.

Technically there is no reason at all for a 2x12 not to be able to do what you want but all of them are going to sound different to your current cab. That would be true of a new speaker of any size/combination.

So, stop thinking about it and start trying out new speakers. Reject then ones you don't like the sound of and come up with a shortlist then compare them with each other and your original cab, then the answer will be clear.

This
[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1420014454' post='2644758']
I'd say you are looking at this the wrong way.

If you changed to a different 2x15 you'd have a different sound. You might find it better or worse, massive or maybe not as massive as your current cab.

Technically there is no reason at all for a 2x12 not to be able to do what you want but all of them are going to sound different to your current cab. That would be true of a new speaker of any size/combination.

So, stop thinking about it and start trying out new speakers. Reject then ones you don't like the sound of and come up with a shortlist then compare them with each other and your original cab, then the answer will be clear.
[/quote]

I replaced my old two 2x10 rig for a 2x12 for both tonal and size considerations (a massive improvement on both counts). Then I replaced the 2x12 with a 6x5 cab which suits my overall needs better; I have no problem filling venues with low end.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1420030702' post='2644975']
I'll go audition stuff, starting with a Vanderkley 212mnt shortly, as that cab is getting nothing but good reviews.

Thanks again.
[/quote]A pro player friend of mine swears by these; have fun.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1420011908' post='2644754']
Maybe what you say is right and I have just been very lucky; to find the right combination over 25 years ago and still be delighted with the sound. I don't pretend to be at the cutting edge and would be happy to find a lightweight and smaller package that sounded the same but I simply haven't and anything I've tried that claimed to be on a par just hasn't done it for me.
[/quote]

Back in the day I gigged extensively with an Ampeg SVT-CL and 8X10 and absolutely loved it in every way. Since then I've been looking for that sound (and heft), but in a portable package - some say it can't be done and I can see why. I've got very close with a Streamliner 900 and Schroeder 21012L cab and I'm 90% happy, but I'm quite aware that if I want to be 100% happy I'll need an SVT and an 8X10. As things stand, I'm prepared to forgo that 10% for the convenience and reliability of a lightweight rig. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1420033903' post='2645019']
I'm quite aware that if I want to be 100% happy I'll need an SVT and an 8X10. As things stand, I'm prepared to forgo that 10% for the convenience and reliability of a lightweight rig. :)
[/quote]

Same here Mark - I used an SVT 2-PRO and 810 a couple of weeks ago. Totally awesome. But then it took four of us to carry said flightcased items up 4 flights of stairs. I`m nearly there soundwise with my gear, good enough for me.

My mind has taken another swing. I think I will just hang on to what I have and know to sound good.
Gigging this 215 rig on saturday in a reasonably sized pub. Will decide afterwards.

Comparing my home practice cab (goliath Jr. III) with the Trace 215 I find that the tone controls on my basses have much more impact through the big boy and (wtf?) the 215 has a lot more definition then the 210, which seems to have a gap between 3khz and 5khz.

Oh and yes that's a hf unit you spotted in the 215. I built it in, crossover kicking in at 5khz. The 15" celestions in there reach up to 5k so I figured the combination would be perfect.

Edited by DiMarco

Don't concern yourself too much with the size of the speaker, it's the cab the matters and how it sounds to you, whatever the speaker size. Just try loads of cabs until you find one that's right, going after a particular sized speaker could be ruling out your 'perfect cab'.

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered myself two Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 cabs.
The 2x15 can be a lot louder then actual FOH systems in medium sized pubs which is really too much.

Hanging on to that cab as well though as it just looks too damn sexy when paired with my Trace AH400SMX. :gas:

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1422435943' post='2672488']
Ordered myself two Mesa Powerhouse 1x12 cabs.
The 2x15 can be a lot louder then actual FOH systems in medium sized pubs which is really too much.

Hanging on to that cab as well though as it just looks too damn sexy when paired with my Trace AH400SMX. :gas:
[/quote]

Will be interested to hear Mesa's 112 cabs...

As for too powerful a sound, this is very pertinent and one of the good things about class D, IMO..
you have the volume but it lacks the power...and this can work better in smaller places.

I am often aware that I may have too much amp for a pub when ruuning non class D, Funnily enough bass players in the audience love it
when the walls are 'shaking' but the drummers don't..they've turned green :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Canceled the 1x12 cabs. One was to arrive in a month and a half time, second would or wouldn't arrive sometime unknown.
Dutch distributor of Mesa are obviously incompetent.

Currently looking at my options, considering Barefaced or Tecamp, or maybe just stick with the Trace Elliot 2x15.

Edited by DiMarco