Why become a member? ×

Need a wedding band that doesn't play Mustang Sally

coasterbass

When people hear must hang sally done by a wedding band they're hearing the band playing a cover of the commitments version, which was a cover of the Wilson Pickett version which was a cover of the Mack Rice original.

My band refuses to even try it, but I like it and have never had the chance to play it in public. :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='258181' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:51 PM']I thoroughly enjoy the song, but it's a beautifully cheesy classic, and I stand by this!

so there! :) *harrumph*[/quote]

+1

And hard to handle too

^5's Phil

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='258222' date='Aug 8 2008, 03:39 PM']When we're feeling saucy and the dance floor is full, we often go from the last chorus of Must Hang Sally straight into Disco Inferno a la cabaret medley. Surely this ranks highly on the cheesometer - the audience always seem to like it though.

Embarrassed of Preston.[/quote]
That a big wedge of Brie. :)

Edit: although if it fills the dancefloor, it's "job done".

Edited by stingrayfan

You cannot be in a wedding band an not play mustang sally, its the law isn't it?

I hate the damb song but guaranteed if your having a dodgy night with the crowd, play that and every ganny father in law and fiv eyear old in the building will dance.

I have an even worse one.......This used to be THE ABSOLUTE BEST CROWD PLEASER when we played....Mavericks, "dance the night away". ABSOLUTELY HATEFUL HATEFUL SONG, but you would have thought we were throwing £50 notes on the dance floor when we played it, everytime even with young trendy couples who liked Damien Rice and that Jack...all my acoustic songs are exactly the same... chap.

I miss being in a wedding band...oh what about Midnight Hour is that allowed?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='257970' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:57 AM']Oh, what's this, a CUSTOMER telling musicians NOT to play Mustang Sally? But that can't be right, 'it's what the public wants'. She is clearly delusional. We must send here for reconditioning to the 'Commitments' school of musical appreciation.

AAAAGA Do Do DO......!![/quote]

This woman clearly needs to watch more feel-good movies instead of wasting her spare time listening to music or whatever it is she does.

You've got to feel bad for her poor deprived guests who'll have to wait until someone else they know gets married before they can hear Mustang Sally again.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='258155' date='Aug 8 2008, 02:29 PM']Slight off-topic, but staying with the classics, we were rehearsing [i]Wonderful World[/i] by Sam Cooke the other night.

Having two kids still at school, I started one verse with [color="#8B0000"]Don't know much about I.C.T., don't know much sociology ...[/color]

It all broke down when I realised that I couldn't get [color="#8B0000"]Media Studies[/color] even to scan, let alone rhyme.

:)[/quote]

Don't know much about Mejah Studies
Take the facts and spin in some muddy ....ness

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='258723' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:54 AM']Reading this thread is strangely making me want to dep for a function band. Anyone need a dep for function stuff around Surrey/Hants area?[/quote]
Possibly! But we don't do Mustang Sally, thank god.

Well, depending on the bunce, my band Re:Cover would be interested!
And we've got PLENTY of gigs that the couple can come and see us at in london leading up to it! All modern stuff apart from the odd interpretation of some oldies....9 minute 'Superstition' anyone! :)

Also check out the "video" medley we did....the footage is made up from 3 different takes, but the audio is live from one of the takes.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='259893' date='Aug 11 2008, 01:01 PM']Also check out the "video" medley we did....the footage is made up from 3 different takes, but the audio is live from one of the takes.[/quote]
Great playing on that Si. Best cover I think I've seen yet of Dani California. I think I prefer your bassline over the original.

Edited by stingrayfan

Ah cheers mate, appreciate it! I don't think I've listened to the original enough to know what it should be haha!

I think a good friend of mine tried out for Wag The Dog actually, couple of years ago now, if you were still playing in the band then! Big guy called Dave, probably turned up with either a Strat, Vigier or a PRS

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='259933' date='Aug 11 2008, 01:26 PM']Ah cheers mate, appreciate it! I don't think I've listened to the original enough to know what it should be haha!

I think a good friend of mine tried out for Wag The Dog actually, couple of years ago now, if you were still playing in the band then! Big guy called Dave, probably turned up with either a Strat, Vigier or a PRS

Si[/quote]
Must have been a different WTD - we've only ever had one guitarist. :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='258031' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:06 PM']+1

We've played at a number of weddings where the Bride and Groom try to pick a set list for the band based on the songs that they listen to, past and present. We always try to explain, as democratically as possible that Great Aunt Hilda has never heard of 'A Flock Of Seagulls' and that our set (which includes Mustang Sally) has been developed to contain something for everyone.

Personally I hate the song, but it always goes down a storm.[/quote]
Smack on.

We did a wedding at a few days notice a couple of weeks ago, so we were left (as we should be in my opinion) to work the night around our set. We had them up dancing all night.

Then the DJ finished the night off playing an entire set of stuff hand picked by the bride and groom, and it was a half empty room with an empty dancefloor in no time whatsoever, along with a thoroughly deflated DJ. As soon as he tried sticking on what he knows works, he was immediately told to stick to their playlist. Pointless.

Why is it pointless?
It's the bride and grooms day....why should they listen to 70's junk, when they could listen to songs that actually mean something to them!
I agree that a band needs to have something for everyone to a degree, and it's their job to get everyone up dancing, but the bride and groom should be able to listen to whatever they want when it comes to the DJ.

Si

OK. Maybe pointless was a bit too strong.

But part of the process of a wedding, in my opinion, whether as part of the band or one of the bride & groom, is to make sure that the majority (as we all know you can't please everyone) have a great day. I, personally, wouldn't, and didn't, have a set list full of songs [b][color="#FF0000"]I[/color][/b] wanted to listen to. If I wanted to do that, I can quite easily do that sat at home listening to my entire record/CD collection. And if the playlist is just for me & the Mrs, why pay to have a DJ?

Otherwise, I'd have had (as was the example I gave earlier) a half empty room, where the majority had probably p*ssed off to bed/bar/another venue to listen to stuff they'd appreciate a good old dance to.

Edited by Thunderthumbs