Why become a member? ×

Oh dear, new band picks cr@p set...!!!!

JTUK

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1419514536' post='2640548']
I'll say it again for those who didn't watch this link....
This band is fantastic... 4:00 mins in and really is awsome....
If you didn't click and watch first time, honestly, take a few mins to watch this.....

Very credible.

[url="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ddJRBQFRoY"]http://m.youtube.com...h?v=5ddJRBQFRoY[/url]
[/quote]
Liked the big chorus...again :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419454607' post='2640218']
To me, it is a decent tune, but where would you put it in a set..??

[/quote]

Somewhere near the start - I'd want 3 or 4 uptempo songs to get things moving, then if I was going to play a ballad I might try and sneak it in early in the set, say 4th or 5th song in.

For a festival slot you're not going to get very long - 45 minutes, 1 hour maybe? So I wouldn't want to allow any passengers, everything has to earn it's place in the set.

[quote]
And as always, before we think about binning songs, you need to hear how they come out..
[/quote]

For sure. I always try and keep an open mind until at least the first rehearsal, if only for the democratic process to take it's course.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1419586081' post='2640995']
For sure. I always try and keep an open mind until at least the first rehearsal, if only for the democratic process to take it's course.
[/quote]

Yes, need to give it that as the proposer is so keen on it so I hope he has a very good version.
I think early first set as a 'singer' type...but as good as it might be for that, as a 'dancer' it will kill things stone dead.

I guess I am getting closer to the 80's than I wanted... altho give me 'Women in chains' and I'm there.

After the first rehearsal you can point out which songs are strong and which are weak.

The weak ones will need a lot of (too much) work and even then they probably won't be strong enough.

So they'll not be making the cut.

People who insist on playing their favourite songs are a liability. You have to play the best songs for the band.

You play your favourite CD's when you get home.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419594745' post='2641098']
After the first rehearsal you can point out which songs are strong and which are weak.

The weak ones will need a lot of (too much) work and even then they probably won't be strong enough.

People who insist on playing their favourite songs are a liability. You have to play the best songs for the band.

[/quote]

I totally agree.

The one thing I do loathe are band members who insist on playing personal favourites, it's a recipe for disaster. Most of the time these favourites fail in my experience...and leave the person who suggested them wishing they hadn't because they sound so different.

For me it's about finding songs that people will know, that the band can play really well and not having much overlap with other bands in the area you're playing.

+1

These days I never suggest songs I really like. Someone in the band will invariably underachieve. I'd rather have less emotional connection to the numbers then I don't mind so much what the others do to them.

Last example was me suggesting Long Distance Love by Little Feat. The guitarist and me got it right but the singer made such a mess of the phrasing that I just wanted to kill her. Never again.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1419594745' post='2641098']

[b]People who insist on playing their favourite songs are a liability[/b]. You have to play the best songs for the band.

[/quote]

Generally I agree, but the guy is very good and I think he thinks he can carry it.
I thought I was getting a SRV type and wanted that as the core theme to how we'd do
a song... so you can see why I'm struggling to get to grips with this 'pick' and anymore
like it...which I fear there will be :lol:
I think I'll drop in a full-on lay-it-down funk drummer into the mix to water the other side down :lol:

Since there are only 3 of us at the moment, I might get outvoted and
if that happens to a point where I can't see the band as viable, then
we are finished before we are started...
I guess I am questioning the 'chemistry and theme' already and I didn't
expect to have to do that.
I'll be looking hard at the drum names in the pot but sure, no panic, early days

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1419448692' post='2640151']
All those are decent tunes but they look odd put together. Well Elvis and AC/DC does anyhow the rest i guess fit nicely. Why is Elvis in there?, its looks like a total random song and doesn't go with the feeling of the rest. Take out Elvis and put Elvis Costello, pump it up in there lol. Then ordinary world switch places with all night long.
[/quote]

Gotta go with Peace, Love and Understanding myself. Still one of my most favorite songs to play on bass or guitar.

As it happens..our first run thru went well so I am less concerned
with the odd ball numbers..and the one that gave me most concerns
as I felt it might determine a pattern actually doesn't stick out that much.
It will probably survive but it doesn't define the band in a way I was dreading..

The Elvis number is either a feature number or doesn't work and will drop
out and the Nik K number sits ok..enough.
So..onward and upward with the drummer search

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419949627' post='2644211']
The Elvis number is either a feature number or doesn't work and will drop
out and the Nik K number sits ok..enough.
So..onward and upward with the drummer search
[/quote]

The one that seemed a bit of an oddity to me from that list was the Lionel Richie one. It just seems like the sort of number you'd start the second set off with after they'd called the bingo.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1420042156' post='2645116']
The one that seemed a bit of an oddity to me from that list was the Lionel Richie one. It just seems like the sort of number you'd start the second set off with after they'd called the bingo.
[/quote]

:lol: That will be a stormer with the treatment I hope we can give it...
It will be a bit more rock and roll but powerful and dancey...
so that is one I am really looking to get to grips with..
On record...yes... a bit lame, maybe, but ramped up, I have high hopes.

On that track, I can certainly get a 'vision' of how it would work...which was my main
problem with the Nik K track. Having seen the gtr in full bore action last night, I am
much more hopeful about this project and certainly when we have a gig we can add players
to...