Why become a member? ×

Vox basses

OutToPlayJazz

I think the most famous Vox player apart from Wyman was in the Banana Splits! I posted on BW ages ago wondering who the bass player was (The crazy pink elephant thing?) :)
Here’s a couple of pics of a (over-) restored Wyman bass, one of Bill’s actual bass, and a couple of the guitar version I’m fixing up at the moment. Cool looking and a reasonable player, but horrendously complex ‘60’s electrics. Never tried the bass model but I’d imagine they’re fairly nasty. Short scale too? Surprised Italia haven’t done a take on it.

Urgh. That brought back some unpleasant memories. Mine looked just like the one in the first picture, that the guy is holding.

As for the Banana Splits, Fleagle was the bass player. Snorky the elephant thing was the keyboard player. Formative stuff!

Edited by pete.young

• 5 years later...

Hey Guys bit new to this site i have just been gifted a Vox standard Bass its got some age i think 1980s ish
I am giving it a little TLC to bring it up. the neck had a slight bow (ok bit more than slight ) but i have got it straight
it has been fretted maple neck and sound great

one problem i tried to intoneate and it seems the bridge saddles have a plastic? hard rubber ? shoe on the string saddles thsi instantly perished

1st question is this the original set up for the bridge (as i have never come across before )

2nd did it have a bridge cover fitted as there seems to be holes in the body that might hold one

3rd any information on how to date it to a specific year

many thanks for your interest

regards

Chuck

My Vox Standard doesn't have the bridge you describe, nor has it had a bridge cover (it's been partly stripped of paint, so it would be easy to see).
I haven't found any pics of a Standard on line with a cover, though I think I remember seeing one on eBay a while ago, which I think was added by the owner. With a bit of luck Bassassin will be along in a while to share his astounding amount of knowledge :)

• 7 months later...

I have a Vox Standard Bass - was my first bass when I began playing about 20 odd years ago. They were made in early 80's, and considered to be the best basses Vox ever put their name to. (Japan made).

Mine is a beast. It's heavy and growly-loud for a passive bass.I couldn't play it now! Black gloss body and maple neck and head.

Difficult to sell as Vox have changed hands so often there are no records relating to serial numbers from that period. Value is only what someone wants to pay I guess.

I have a Standard, which I love and will never sell, despite its weight and treetrunk neck;
and also a Custom 3002, which is not very interesting at all, and is heavy and has a treetrunk neck. I should sell it, but I doubt I'd get what I paid.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1218218669' post='258406']
[url="http://pulvoweb.chez-alice.fr/mavox/voxstandard.html"]This[/url] is what I was thinking of when I was talking about nondescript Vox basses. finnbass' Vox is something altogether different...
[/quote]

Non- description? You may have a point...but I have one and its a really nice bass. Matsumoku too I believe.