Why become a member? ×

Gibson ripper - slightly modified

[quote name='budget bassist' post='257557' date='Aug 7 2008, 08:26 PM']Only SLIGHTLY modified mind - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1976-GIBSON-RIPPER-BASS-slightly-modified_W0QQitemZ180271797591QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116"]here[/url][/quote]

Can't quite see the bit that has been modified !!! :)

How to destroy the value of a nice guitar !!

Since when did “savagely reshaped” become “slightly modified”?

Seems to be asking for a lot as well. £500 for that? Am I wrong in thinking that one sold on here recently and for a lot less than that…and it wasn’t “slightly modified” either.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='257566' date='Aug 7 2008, 08:35 PM']Since when did “savagely reshaped” become “slightly modified”?

Seems to be asking for a lot as well. £500 for that? Am I wrong in thinking that one sold on here recently and for a lot less than that…and it wasn’t “slightly modified” either.[/quote]
That shop tends to sell a lot of vintage things, not one of them i would pay even half of what they're asking for them, that included. I think they think just because something is old, it MUST be valuable, but they fail to take into account the fact that a lot of what they sell is absolute crap.... that's just old.

Edited by budget bassist

Our strange German "friend" again - he's been trying to shift that piece of (s)crap for literally years now!

That guy, the stuff he lists (and never seems to sell), and the loony prices he asks are one of the great imponderables of the modern age. If we could understand him & his activities, I feel we would be a lot closer to unravelling the mysteries of life itself. Or something.

Jon.

2 Things I don't understand about the seller:

Only ever one picture of the bass which is generally at the same angle very time. Not enough to get anyone going really.

Most of the basses don't have strings on them in said picture.

If i was trying to get a good amount of money I would be taking lots of pictures and making the basses more presentable.

As said before this guy has had some of this stuff on Bay for years, some of it even predates the previous bassworld forum! My personal 'favourite' was a particularly hideous greeny blue coloured twin neck. If I do a search he might still have it now, can't imagine anone actually buying it.
Just occasionally (very occasionally) he seems to have something genuinely interesting and I've wondered about offering him a sensible price as opposed to what it's advertised at but you get the impression with most of it he'd actually rather keep it. He'd be better off just putting it all on a site of his own rather than using up eBay's bandwidth. Might get more pics of each piece of junk that way.