Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

• 2 weeks later...

Just received this interesting little beauty from Barcelona.

I'm told it's an early '90's S2 and the wood is Nogal (a type of walnut).

Really hard to get good pics of it as it has a high gloss finish which is causing havoc with my flash!

The shot of the rear probably gives the best impression of the wood colours.

I'll see if I can get some better pics at the weekend in natural light ;)

[quote name='BassBus' post='400526' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:06 PM']That's a fascinating face on that bass. Good call.[/quote]

It really is hard to capture the wood colours on the front, the darker sections aren't bad in the pics but the lighter sections are much nicer with a really lovely grain.

[quote name='molan' post='400528' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:08 PM']It really is hard to capture the wood colours on the front, the darker sections aren't bad in the pics but the lighter sections are much nicer with a really lovely grain.[/quote]

Ok, here's another attempt - still not great but maybe more accurate ;)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='389989' date='Jan 23 2009, 09:12 PM']Hey Martin (Merton), do you happen to know what the string distance from the pickups is meant to be on the Groove? I've got it set the same at the front soapbar on my S2's at the moment.

Rich.[/quote]
Sorry Rich, only just seen this. No idea I'm afraid!

Hi status fans ...

I would like to know something about the S2 : is there a big difference in terms of sound between the Bolt-on and the neck-thru ?

And is the tone block will have more tonal importance on the bolt-on than the neck-thru ? (pickups are more in the the tone block
than the neck-thru one which is mainly graphite around the pickups...)

So what do you think about that ?

That's a tough one, flychris...

The bolt on S2 has a slightly dryer and grittier sound, more like a KingBass. A little more top end, but a little less sustain. My bolt on 5 also has a slightly softer sound than the others as it has the phenowood fingerboard as well, so if you dig in you get the classic Status twang & growl, but played gently, double damping with both hands, it's great as a jazz instrument.

The through necks have a bit more sustain & a glassier sound. Still very similar, just a little more of everything. The tone block (for me) puts the icing on the cake. The tone block around the longer graphite spine on a through neck gives an almost three-dimensional sound with a stunning tone. My walnut S2 4-string & myrtlewood 5-string are both made in this way & both have a very similar tone. (My favourite sound!)

The all-graphite models like the Stealth and the Streamline have another sound all together. The 2-band preamp is bassier & the all graphite construction gives you even more growl than the others.

Hope that helps in some way!

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz