Why become a member? ×

Drunkest night of the year - impact on gigging bands?

The Admiral

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1419066951' post='2636126']
Doing two gigs (last night/tonight) with the mother of all colds. No fun, no alcohol just drugs (day nurse.)

Last night was a legal firms party - never seen so many blondes in 6 inch heels and little black dresses... All drunk when they arrived!
[/quote]

And did none of them fancy a bit of rough from the band? How does it go? "Without pictures...........etc"

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1419031033' post='2636000']
According to several of the newspapers, all the interested parties: publicans, police and hospitals etc. are expecting tonight to be the 'drunkest' of the year - last Friday before Christmas and loads of works parties on. I was in Edinburgh overnight last night, in a hotel on the Grassmarket, where from the 17th Dec, they have a 5 a.m. Licence! It was like the zombie apocalypse outside my window at 0500, [u][b]with people staggering about, incoherent and drooling.[/b][/u]
[/quote]

oh, but that has nothing to do with the 5am license... ;)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1419069460' post='2636148']
Welcome to Edinburgh. We have a [u][b]zombie apocalypse[/b][/u] every weekend. The level of drunkenness that the Scottish population can achieve on a 'night oot' can be disturbing to non Scots.

It's disturbing to me......and I'm Scottish.
[/quote]

here's an image to prove it

I remember last year's mad Friday gig - hell! But, naturally we charged more and got it. But it was a pain in the arse. Oh, and the favourite, as you're packing up and going out, the drunk punter just arriving "Oh, are you done? Will you do us one more" ... yeah, if you sober up, pull my gear out of the car, set it up again and pay me a lot of money, I MAY consider it.

I'm on holiday this year, and I have no regrets :lol:

Kind of like Birmingham's German Christmas market, I can't work out why people can't just go and enjoy it without having to get drunk, then wonder about New street station causing havoc ?

Twice this last week has been a nightmare when I've gotten back from London late.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1419105739' post='2636706']
What lab? Are you meddling with forces you do not understand?
[/quote]

every day!

If I understood them, my job would be over pretty soon, and how would I pay for my red basses and my red shoes to go with my red basses, eh?

Westgate in Wakefield is renowned for bother most nights but Xmas is obviously worse. We played there last night but happy to report no trouble at the venue. There was fighting in the street 50yds away. Bloke was killed there last week. I can't help thinking the 'meeja' are making it worse. Half these throwbacks are out on the streets now because they think Sky News or the Mail will show up. In their tiny minds , having throwing up scrotes on the front of the paper gives the whole thing some sense of importance. Same deal with this Black Friday and other retail nonsense. Self perpetuating. I've done every bit of my ( albeit tiny amount) Xmas shopping on line while sitting in my penguin onsie watching Babestation. While folk were spending a fortune to drink watered down lager and having a fight at two in the morning I was coming home after a few free pints of real ale wedged up from the gig. All in all I reckon I've cracked this Xmas lark.

It's no different to any night round here. A while ago we had some drunks stagger into some piled up chairs and send them crashing into my basses and the drum kit. I went mental and the guys apologised. It turns out it was some drunken bitch of a girl that had pushed them. It was only later that our drummer showed me a big scratch in his bass drum. A nice new kit as well.
Oh, the joys of being a pub covers band!