Why become a member? ×

Things you should be able to play but can not.

Twincam

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1418551708' post='2631025']
Funk and soul can be a bit tricky to get the timing, and hence the feel right. You need a good drummer for that. I quite enjoy a bit of walking bass, but then I learnt a lot of scales, arpeggios and cadences as a kid on various instruments. The one style I can't do is slap - I like a bit of Level 42 but never felt the desire to do it myself (heard too many music shop slapathons as a young newbie probably - it leaves me cold)
[/quote]

I just can't listen to guys doing the Flea thing.... about as funky as a wet fish slap around the face :lol: :lol:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1418548090' post='2630983']
The triplets in "Roadhouse Blues". The worst thing is that there's a youtube video (the "how to play bass" guy) who describes it as "beginner" level! B*****d :angry:

I really struggle with a lot of funk style stuff. Although I can nail the notes, the feel is real struggle and I'm at a bit of a loss for how to fix it. Just not in me I suppose.
[/quote]
you mean this one? shame if it's so easy that the triplets aren't quite 'even' :ph34r:
[media]http://youtu.be/uqOZyTNSO-w[/media]

Edited by steve-bbb

I can do a passable rhythm stick- first verse and chorus. Second time round, might wobble might be ok, guaranteed to mess it up by the end. It's not a stamina thing, just a concentration/ psychological thing. Should be a break it down, be patient type problem but it grates. Technically, the version of grapevine in standing in the shadows of Motown bugs me too, the descending C7 in the chorus, looks so innocent but my fingers just don't work that way!

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1418582152' post='2631415']

Say "You and me is" to the 4/4 beat
The words are different lengths but they all up to 4
Play on: AND + Is .
Baffling, but works :unsure:
[/quote]
Which beat do you start you on?

Edited by scalpy

It took me about two years to nail Rhythm Stick, and Sir Duke (or the horn break at least). This was way back before all the tablature was on the net, or people had phrase trainers, etc. There's a big difference between being able to play something on my own, as opposed to doing it on stage though.

The thing I just can't figure out is all that double thumbing stuff...

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1418493510' post='2630688']
There is a few technically or should i say physically easy tunes that i should be able to play but for some reason can't quiet get to sound right or just can't get my head around for ages then it will click.

It's annoying me. And making me think maybe my timing or something is bad. Or is it a case of some types of rhythm suit different people. A lack of general experience maybe?.
It is very frustrating when i can play something that on paper is a lot more difficult then something relatively simple comes along and it stumps me. Especially as ive been making some progress of late.

I would be interested to know if any of you, get this.
[/quote]

For me, it's just the way at least rock and roll is and I have been playing bass since 1966.

I can think I have learned a song from sitting down with YouTube headphones and an amp simulator then hear the same song in my car or in a club and hear something completely different and realize I wasn't playing the song accurately.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Brother Jones' timestamp='1418603237' post='2631702']
It took me about two years to nail Rhythm Stick, and Sir Duke (or the horn break at least). This was way back before all the tablature was on the net, or people had phrase trainers, etc. There's a big difference between being able to play something on my own, as opposed to doing it on stage though.

The thing I just can't figure out is all that double thumbing stuff...
[/quote]

I also think many of us should know is that some recordings guys are using weird custom drop tuning or what sounds like one bass track is actually multiple bass tracks.

And yes learning and playing along with the record is not the same as playing live with musicians.This impacts auditions. It happens when guys learn playing to the record then go to audition and the dynamics are completely different.

Blue

I find I have to sleep on it.

If I'm finding a cover, or certain part of a cover hard to digest, I will play the hell out of it, then the next day after a good nights sleep pickup my bass and it comes to me. Sometimes a few sleeps are needed but anything can be done with enough day to day practice.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1418636439' post='2631801']
I find I have to sleep on it.

If I'm finding a cover, or certain part of a cover hard to digest, I will play the hell out of it, then the next day after a good nights sleep pickup my bass and it comes to me. Sometimes a few sleeps are needed but anything can be done with enough day to day practice.
[/quote]

Works for me. Sleep on it, let your body take it all in. Next day, it's coming out of your fingers like some kinda voodoo.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a lot easier than the day before.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1418667058' post='2632151']
Planet Earth

Just cant seem to play it all the way through without losing the feel at some point, its bloody annoying, as everything else I do suggests this should not be a problem.
[/quote]

Duran Duran planet earth?. If so i have major problems with that one. Tends to fatigue me quickly both physically and mentally and if i lose the rhythm well it all goes to pot. I think the fatigue thing comes from playing it on very high tension flats. I am hoping when i switch back to rounds or tapewounds my strength and stamina will of improved.