Why become a member? ×

How 5 different bass grooves change the vibe of a song

MatthiasBass

For me the most fun part of recording a new song is to come up with lots of different bass parts and see which one is best for the tune.

This video is a short demo of the process of finding the right track. Which one is your favorite?

Regards,
Matthias

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lS7m_QANCg"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-lS7m_QANCg[/url]

Interesting, to me they all work in the song. My favourites are the first, fourth and fifth. The slightly syncopated "pedal" one is probably the one i'd find the most fun to play, the last one can be interesting, but you need to see how it will fit with a potential further melodic line in the song, like a sung melody, or a guitar/keys/brass solo. The first one is a classic, not very interesting but could support a sung melody well.

Not a fan of the 8th note one, or the emphasis on the 1st root note, although that could work in certain circumstances.

The first one, is the one your average non bassist song writer would probably imagine the bass line would be, i.e. effective but a bit boring for a bass player to actually play.

The second last one I like a lot but the drummer would have to follow it with the bass drum. Like Bryan Ferry's 'Don't Stop The Dance'.

[media]http://youtu.be/XjhTHQhJLxs[/media]

Edited by gjones

Standard approch: works good, supports the drums, does'n't interfere with the guitar, leaves plenty of spaces, without beeing dull.

Standard approch V2: too busy, doesn't work. Doesn't gel with drums and guitar.

Pedal Tone: too static, Dull. No tension.

Pedal tone + no "1": hook line quality! Etablishes a counterpoint to the melody.

Low melody: too weak, nothing that brings a new quality to the song

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='MatthiasBass' timestamp='1418379530' post='2629652']...Which one is your favorite?...
[/quote]
[quote name='marcblum' timestamp='1418407228' post='2630027']
Standard approch: works good, supports the drums, does'n't interfere with the guitar, leaves plenty of spaces, without beeing dull.

Standard approch V2: too busy, doesn't work. Doesn't gel with drums and guitar.

Pedal Tone: too static, Dull. No tension.

Pedal tone + no "1": hook line quality! Etablishes a counterpoint to the melody.

Low melody: too weak, nothing that brings a new quality to the song
[/quote]

This ^^^ , although 2nd could well fit in as a change in tempo for a 'middle 8' or such.