Why become a member? ×

Ampeg rig owners

Jimelliottbassist

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1417719716' post='2623473']
I had a 610HLF and it was the fasted cab I've moved on. I found it very un-musical. I bought without trying first and I'd not do that again.
[/quote]
course its unmusical, its supposed to demolish small countries or something innit? :D

I've got a US SVT 4 PRO and a US 610HLF - big sound, big heavy gear. Worth it though - headroom for miles.
Never had a moment's grief with this rig other than weight (it's all cased).
Played a US SVT II and 80's 810 a couple of times and I think it was the nicest tone I've ever had (in my head anyway, maybe I am romanticising it a bit) - Just P Bass and SVT.

Played a support slot last Saturday night using the main band's backline, which included a Vietnampeg SVT VR, through a Chinese??? B series 410 - awful, awful sounding cab. Couldn't get a decent sound out of it all through soundcheck, sounded really 'thin' and rattled a bit. Maybe a speaker issue, not sure but I quickly went home after soundcheck and chucked my Mesa Scout Radiator 15 in the boot. I asked the other guy if he minded if I used my cab for our set and offered to let him use it for his. He said go for it but was happy with his sound so wanted to keep using the 4x10 - he didn't like 15's anyway, "too flappy".
I plugged in the cab and it was right first time, no tweaking at all needed - I even used his eq settings the way they were for our set too, just turned the volume down a touch.
I played our set and the VR was huge through the Mesa cab, amazingly clear, a touch of grit and big! First time in ages I've turned my VT pedal off - no need to simulate an SVT when playing through the genuine article! The other guys went on after us and all but emptied the venue; feedback, hiss, terrible timing (not sure the bass player and drummer had even met before!!!) bass was noisy and in & out in terms of clarity and the singer was a twat!
I love the 'Ampeg sound', it's that growl that gets me. I like my Mesa M Pulse for its clarity and the Marshall VBA for sheer old-school valve goodness, but Ampeg SVT's just have 'that' sound.
When I get this wedding out of the way I will definitely be going on the hunt for an SVT AV and matching 8x10 (this may take a while!)

Anyway, I guess the heavier US stuff is better, at least in terms of cabs, in my limited experience of nowt much else!

I think it was just the last few years of USA production that they changed over to OSB (Oriented Strand Board) for their cabinets. Although the catalogue at the time I got my 610AV in 2006 said Baltic Birch Ply, on looking inside (as you do) I discovered it was OSB. Have not found it to be an issue tho'. I think when it went to the far east they resumed the ply construction.
I did hear in the Marshall factory tour video that I watched last week (youtube) that the guy said they used OSB on their large bass cabs for some specific reason but didn't quite hear what it was.

Edited by goingdownslow