Why become a member? ×

Passive bass to an active.

red rooster

Please excuse another silly question , my squire bass 60 classic precision with flatstrings gives me a sound I really like. But last night I was messing around with a traben active bass that my daughter has clamed for herself and holy cow that thing can growl seems to produce a multitude of different sounds when you adjust the nobs so I'm wondering if maybe there's a peddle switch or something I could run my squire through to produce similar sounds. Any thoughts no I'm not buying another bass. I can use the traben any time I like but I tend to take my squire out with me to work in the car etc. got a little amp and headphones at work and a vox for messing in the car.

2 options spring to mind.
The easy option is like Steve said, get a booster or pre amp pedal. There's the Boss that he mentions, or you could go for something like a Sansamp or similar.
The other option is a little harder & that's to fit an active pre to your bass. You'd remove the passive circuitry from your bass to do so, but it would mean you don't have to carry a pedal about to get more sounds from your bass.

I was wondering a similar thing recently. Have a Roadworn Jazz and wanted to be able to pump it up to a more active vibe for the odd track. I bought the Sadowsky pre-amp/DI despite the guy at Bass Gallery telling me that it wouldn't do what I wanted, and it didn't. There was no magic transformation of my lovely vintage passive Jazz into a modern super-J. So I sold on the pre-amp and am buying back my Yamaha TRB which is a proper pumped-up active bass through-and-through. As to putting a pre-amp into a passive, I'd personally be very wary of doing that if I liked my passive in the first place, even with an active-off switch. I've yet to play an active bass that has as good a passive sound as a straight passive P or J.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1417420690' post='2620052']
i'm not sure a 60s style P with flats will ever sound like an active Traben - and the Traben will never nail the P bass thing either.
What you have just discovered, in time for christmas, is a reason to get another bass.... or two.
[/quote]

Sensible, and accurate, advice :)