Why become a member? ×

Most covered 'Classic Rock' song

Guest MoJo

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1425493628' post='2707927']
Hang on a minute... this is another one of your definitions isn't it? :P ;)
[/quote]

Of course it is... :lol: but then I do have a good handle on it, even if I do say so myself :lol: ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1425497954' post='2707975']
Pop is short for popular.

No point in playing tunes that aren't popular.

I don't agree with JTUK apart from the point he makes about poor bands going through the motions with badly played tunes.

I've seen too many bands knocking out bad renditions of 'popular' tunes to a drunk audience while looking at each other as if they've been caught stealing candy from the baby.

Lots of people on BassChat say they never practice as a band as they gig often enough not to have to practice 'the same old tunes over and over again'.

[/quote]

A poor band is a poor band is a poor band. There isn't much you can do about it..apart from don't be in one, or don't go and see one,
but being that anal gets tiresome... Sometimes, it just is what it is, for your own good reasons, but by the same token, no one is immune.

If no one goes to the gigs, it is funny how the bands always blame the punters..whereas I think punters aren't always so stupid...
If you ( the band ) miss the mark, take a look closer to home.
If the band is good and gets the song across, I think the audience are somewhat open to be entertained/educated.
Whatever a band has..it needs something, otherwise it is just notes.. :lol: and too many bands just don't get past that
so they have to take their chances with any flak that might come their way..??

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425508088' post='2708134']
Basically if the band are enjoying it, the audience are enjoying it at [i]least[/i] as much as the band are and there's a third party prepared to part with money to enable this joyous union to take place you shouldn't give a flying f*ck what anyone else thinks.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

"Can't Get Enough" springs most readily to mind.

However, that and all the songs mentioned by e.g. Japhet above, are just fine by me if the band make a decent stab at them with a bit of attitude. It's always fun to watch a band and go "Well, that's not NEARLY as good as we do it ..." (which you know is exactly what they'd say too if the tables were turned) :lol:

Mind you, I don't ever want to play Mustang Sally in my life again, ever, or any Stones song for that matter.

<edit>"Don't Stop Believing" ... I've witnessed some heinous slaughterings of that recently. Seems to me that punters' brains are wired to hear what they want to hear, or what they [i]think[/i] they hear, rather than the "the intro was shocking and it went downhill from there" version that the rest of us observe.

Edited by HengistPod

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1425888819' post='2711721']
Mustang Sally
Alright Now
Sweet Home Alabama
Hard to Handle
Honky Tonk Women
Rockin in the Free World
Pride and Joy

Have almost managed to dump all of these from the current set!
[/quote]

So have most bands now.

It's a bit stereotypical now in that, if someone mentions Clasic Rock, they're the tunes everyone immediately thinks of. However, hardly any bands are now playing those tunes. Mostly they've moved on to the Pop/Rock of the early 2000s. Even the tunes from the late 90s early 00s are heading on for being 20years old. :D

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1426008569' post='2713379']
I disagree with the above, you'd be surprised how many bands want to trot this old crap out at gigs. Lazy.
[/quote]

I agree. Too many bands trotting out the same old crap. Its far too lazy, and Joe Public really is capable of appreciating other songs from what is, lets face it, a massive choice of successful music. Its quite possible to construct a decent set list that doesn't include the Beatles, Hendrix, Dire Straits, EC, ACDC, GnR and the Eagles.

My covers band is deliberately avoiding the "classic", we're absolutely aligned with #84, except Hard to Handle which we should have dropped by now. Black Crowes version is only 90s though....

All the other songs are pretty much late 90s onwards, successful chart tunes that everyone should recognise.

I was in a previous band that got stuck up its own A by pidgeon holing itself as "post punk" covers. Absolutely loved playing the songs at rehearsal, but ran out of suitable material to play to an audience far too quickly TBH.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1426072612' post='2713977']

My covers band is deliberately avoiding the "classic", we're absolutely aligned with #84, except Hard to Handle which we should have dropped by now. Black Crowes version is only 90s though....

All the other songs are pretty much late 90s onwards, successful chart tunes that everyone should recognise.

[/quote]

That version is 25years old!

I keep reading people saying ''far too many bands" and "everyone" is playing all the old favourites but then claiming their band is different because we play more up to date tunes. Then cite 90s tunes.

So who is it that's playing all those old tunes that no one wants to hear? Seems it's none of us here on BassChat! I'd say we must be pretty representative of 'most bands'.

I'm sure this is just another one of those untruths we like to repeat.

A couple of thoughts.

Giving the audience present 'what they want' is only one approach. A room with 20 people in it who are loving your Free medley is great but you may also want to consider why there are only 20 in there. Could it be because the 60 other potential audience members who COULD have been there are at home because thay have heard it all before? When presenting Jazz events, I have found that a band playing standards in a very bland way will 'entertain' those present (background music) but will not attract additional people. If you want to create a stir, you need more than the same old same old.

Another thing that has seemed apparent to me over the years is the willingness of a section of the audience to 'suspend disbelief' when watching a live band, as if they are psychologically talking themself into liking the bucket of s*** that is our version of 'Ticket To Ride'? In short, they want to dance and they like (feel safe in) this pub so they will dance in this pub, whatever bag of B******s is on stage :lol:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1426080892' post='2714133']
That version is 25years old!

I keep reading people saying ''far too many bands" and "everyone" is playing all the old favourites but then claiming their band is different because we play more up to date tunes. Then cite 90s tunes.

So who is it that's playing all those old tunes that no one wants to hear? Seems it's none of us here on BassChat! I'd say we must be pretty representative of 'most bands'.

I'm sure this is just another one of those untruths we like to repeat.
[/quote]

I really dont think this is an untruth. I've been asked to play songs from the 60s and 70s at quite a few auditions - generally I dont get as far as the audition if thats what they want to play anymore but its not long ago I was playing Cant Get Enough, Sweet Home Alabama, Twist and Shout and Credance Clearwater Revival songs on a regular basis. Most of the songs on the list were hits before I was born.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1426165830' post='2715111']

I really dont think this is an untruth. I've been asked to play songs from the 60s and 70s at quite a few auditions - generally I dont get as far as the audition if thats what they want to play anymore but its not long ago I was playing Cant Get Enough, Sweet Home Alabama, Twist and Shout and Credance Clearwater Revival songs on a regular basis. Most of the songs on the list were hits before I was born.
[/quote]

I suppose that depends on what else is in the set. My current band sent me their setlist and suggested some tunes to learn for the audition. The tunes they suggested were the standards because they knew I would already know them.

I learned about 60% of the setlist anyway and we played some other tunes. Which impressed them more than if I'd turned up and played Brown Sugar.

I played in a 'function' band for a few years that wasn't getting any gigs because of the the selection. The drummer wanted to play 'different' tunes to what other bands played. We added a load of classic tunes and a load of chart tunes and all of a sudden started getting gigs.

What I'm saying is that there may be bands out there with setlists full of overplayed corny classics, but I'd be surprised if they're getting band members or gettin out and gigging.

You need a careful blend and I think the 'oh god not this tune again' reaction is mainly coming from muso's who've possibly played that tune too many times rather than audiences who've heard it too many times.

Eg. You may have been in a band who played Brown Sugar at every gig for 5 years, however, the audience will have only seen you play it a handful of times.

There will be some overlap, but all bands won't all be playing those same 100tunes.

Edited by TimR

With the band that I've just served notice on, I was in a pub having last orders with a mate a few months back and there was a band on. I only saw the last 7 songs of their 2nd set but [i]every single one of them [/i]was in the sets i was regularly doing with my band. Interestingly one of the members had previously depped with 'my' band before I joined ;)