• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Suspicious JV P

cameltoe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151474971671

Why do I think it's suspicious?

Wonky neck plate

Completely unmarked neck plate- no scratches whatsoever (mine has quite a few!)

Corroded/matte tuners (they look the same as the tuners on my road worn. My JV tuners are still shiny as a shiny thing)

No grain at all on the body, although it could be a basswood body

No feedback at all, and foreign seller selling on UK eBay.

Pretty poor 3-tone burst

'No parts changed'- errr, the bridge? the pickup?

Looks like it could be a JV neck with random hardware and body- what do you guys think?

Like I said, suspicious!

from seller..

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Hi,[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]well it is original. Squiers with JV serial numbers are made in Japan 1982-1984. This one is made in 1983. You can see it's full serial number in pictures. As I know Squier by Fender were meant for USA market. They are of way better quality than the later ones which were not made in Japan. You can search for more information online, there is plenty. :)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][b]
- karolis_kvatavicius_lt[/b][/size][/font][/color]

Tuner corrosion typical IMO. String tree and strap buttons matching. Lo-res pics could hide faint grain on body. Cutaway has router hump, lip shape is perfect. Shiny neck plate... not impossible, I could snap mine to look the same, and the font is spot on. Guard looks 83-ish.

I don't see anything really wrong, Schaller and pickup aside.

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1417134300' post='2617495']
Bridge is a Schaller 3D - pretty sure these pre-date JVs.

[/quote]

:) My point was that the JV is based upon a bass that predates Schaller, BADASS etc. Bent tin was the order of the day upon which the JV was based and bent tin it should have! :lol:[size=4] [/size]

You're assuming that the seller has owned the bass from new and hence their assertion that nothing's been changed indicates it can't be genuine - I think it just as likely the guy bought the bass some time after it was made, at which point it had already been upgraded with the high mass bridge and pickup.

That's legit with the exception of the bridge and pickups as noted by others. The scratchplate is typical of a sunburst JV and the extra strap button on the back of the headstock. Looks a nice bass. If I were to buy it I'd source a vintage threaded bridge and sell the Schaller on!

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1417138529' post='2617509']
Tuner corrosion typical IMO. String tree and strap buttons matching. Lo-res pics could hide faint grain on body. Cutaway has router hump, lip shape is perfect. Shiny neck plate... not impossible, I could snap mine to look the same, and the font is spot on. Guard looks 83-ish.

I don't see anything really wrong, Schaller and pickup aside.
[/quote]

I've never seen Chrome tuners corrode the same as nickel?

Nor have I! But original JV tuners should be nickel, no?

Top, eBay bass; bottom, one of mine. Very different lighting, obviously...

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/transalp1998/media/aatuners2_zpscbb906c7.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/transalp1998/aatuners2_zpscbb906c7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I've been messaging the seller and he has sent me a few photos. He honestly believes the bass is 100% original. I think he's been sold it that way and doesn't know any better. but the date is on the neck heel as it should be and the pots all look original to me. He sent me a pic of the underside of the pup, now here's a thing, the wiring on the pup is cloth. I thought it would be plastic for an SD? I cant tell if the pots have been re-soldered. My thought was it's an original pup with a SD cover?

Here's the other thing, the date on the neck is 8/4/83, which is exactly the same date on my neck!

Here's my neck-heel

and pots

and a before and after from when I cleaned my tuners

Obviously the bridge is wrong, but that can be changed. Any thoughts on the pups?