Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Bass

topdealmans

Hi guys I'm new here. So Hi. :)

I had a Bass many years ago and stopped playing, now I want another one. I want to use it to play along to my favourte CD's.

I know there is a ton of advise out there. But what would be a great bass for between £100 & £400, I am happy to consider new or 2nd hand.

Some suggestions of Basses (models, brand) in this price bracket that are regarded as good buys would be really helpful.

Thanks

Jase The Bass

[quote name='topdealmans' post='255708' date='Aug 5 2008, 07:49 PM']Hi guys I'm new here. So Hi. :)

I had a Bass many years ago and stopped playing, now I want another one. I want to use it to play along to my favourte CD's.

I know there is a ton of advise out there. But what would be a great bass for between £100 & £400, I am happy to consider new or 2nd hand.

Some suggestions of Basses (models, brand) in this price bracket that are regarded as good buys would be really helpful.

Thanks

Jase The Bass[/quote]Hello bro....What did you have before Jase? I would suggest Yamaha of sorts, MIM Jazz/Precision. You could get decent second hand bass for £400.00 squid!! Im not sure if you could stretch to a second hand Lakland 44-01 or 55-01, but if you could i would do that, without a doubt!!!!

If not maybe Squire Jazz deluxe. Bloody nice them!! The Lakland is the one on the right..Awsome bass..

Edited by bubinga5

i highly reccomend you put your 400 quid away, you can get a lovely bass for 120 quid brand new... delivered to your door the next day...

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Bass_Guitars/Peavey_Bass_Guitars/Peavey_Millennium_BXP4_Bass_Trans_Blacksefv_6.html"]http://www.gear4music.com/Bass_Guitars/Pea...lacksefv_6.html[/url]

i've just purchased one of these and the neck is so slim, so getting back in to playing won't be difficult and the jazz style pickups give a awesome sound and its really light weight so no suffering for your art...

dont bother with mim fenders, you can get much better basses for the same cash, in fact you might wanna look at the vintage modified squier jazz, fantastic necks on those things! maybe a geddy lee jazz?

you can get a musicman SUB second hand, maybe even a stingray if you watch ebay carefully, if your into my kinda sound :)

theres also a active status shark bass on here for £350, or at least there was, that would be a brillaint bass for you to start out on again

My last bass was a Marlin Sidewinder and I thought it was pretty horrible, how do the bass guitars you guys are suggesting compare.

Does it help if I tell you guys I want o play along to INXS, Coldplay, Oasis. Rock in general.

Edited by topdealmans

[quote name='Jase' post='255769' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:52 PM']There's only one thing for it Jase.....Fender![/quote]

Yeah get a Jazz mate, no matter where you go, what you get you'll always need a jazz...bit like the Swiss army knife of bass guitars...great for everything and anything and gutting fish!

[quote name='topdealmans' post='255743' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:33 PM']My last bass was a Marlin Sidewinder and I thought it was pretty horrible, how do the bass guitars you guys are suggesting compare.[/quote]

pretty much any bass is better than those sidewinders, all of these suggestions are miles above :)

also, my vote is for yamaha.

Someone had a fantastic Bass Collection Speakeasy for sale - mint condition, really light, active, P/J and only £175 - oh hang on, I think that was me! :)

The bass is here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24700&st=0&p=252438&#entry252438"]Bass Collection Speakeasy[/url]

Why that would leave you £225 left from your budget for a great combo + cab. By pure chance I happen to have those for sale too for £220! Buy them all and I'll throw in a box of jaffa cakes and hand delivery them to you!

Okay, that's enough shameless plugging from me (but it is a great bass though...).

[quote name='elom' post='255907' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:07 AM']Someone had a fantastic Bass Collection Speakeasy for sale - mint condition, really light, active, P/J and only £175 - oh hang on, I think that was me! :)

The bass is here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24700&st=0&p=252438&#entry252438"]Bass Collection Speakeasy[/url]

Why that would leave you £225 left from your budget for a great combo + cab. By pure chance I happen to have those for sale too for £220! Buy them all and I'll throw in a box of jaffa cakes and hand delivery them to you!

Okay, that's enough shameless plugging from me (but it is a great bass though...).[/quote]

What do you think guys a shameless plug or a fine bass?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='255729' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:17 PM']dont bother with mim fenders, you can get much better basses for the same cash[/quote]

Well I just got a MIM Precision for inside the OP's budget and it is the best new Fender I have played. Looks, sounds and feels like a good US Fender. My flatmate's favourite electric is a MIM Strat that just sings. They can be more variable in quality but I have played plenty of other, higher spec basses that were badly setup, heavy, ugly or noisy. OK, maybe you can get more bells and whistles but the P-bass won't break down, the battery won't die (hasn't got one) and it has a sound that works in any style of music. I'm no luddite either as my other bass is a 6-string Warwick Corvette :)

Basses to try:-

Ibanez sr400/sr500 - light, bart pickups, versatile sound - $400 odd new.

Ibanez ATK - great stingray like tone.

Yamahas - any really, all good value.

Warwick Streamer STD - great growl at a decent secondhand price - about £200

There's also a Warwick ProM 5 string up for £400 in the "basses for sale" section. Well worth a look.

Best bass under £300 (and it can be had for around £200) is a Cort GB34A. Nice slim Jazz Bass profile neck, active electrics, chunky bridge, decent hardware and build quality that would put a Jap Fender to shame. If you want to spend all of your budget, then the BG74 is to die for. They don't make them for a leftie or I'd have had one by now.

D.

Edited by deksawyer

cant we get a thread like this stickied? they seem to be coming up more and more often.

anyway... ibanez SR500. go for it now. brilliant bass.

actually, just go for any ibanez. they're all good. except the GAX thingy, that seems a little bit cheap and horrible to me.

most important bit of advice - PLAY BEFORE YOU BUY. i tried loads of cheap basses when i was starting out, squier, yamaha, etc. but i sold them all after a couple of months. i tried the ibanez and it was amazing... i've had it a few years now.

EDIT: there is one stickied... have you read it? it seems pretty good advice to me. gives you a chance to choose what you want, too, rather than loads of people just spurting out their favourites (for example me, going on about the ibanez as if its god - which it is)

Edited by lwtait