Why become a member? ×

NBD- G&L L-2000 (Cheap version)

tom1946

Well the Thomann special arrived today. I forgot to mention that I've already had one of these and sent it back with a crackly jack socket and a poor action that I couldn't get low enough, they were dearer then, about £320.

This new one ended up at £288 delivered BUT, same action problem!! The bass looks perfect, just the action. the strings look deep in the nut and as a result the action won't go low enough at the dusty end. Before I dabbled with these I'd owned 4 Tributes and they were perfect out of the box.

I've come to the conclusion that this is why they're cheap. Debating what to do next, any thoughts?

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1416079635' post='2606713']
Well the Thomann special arrived today. I forgot to mention that I've already had one of these and sent it back with a crackly jack socket and a poor action that I couldn't get low enough, they were dearer then, about £320.

This new one ended up at £288 delivered BUT, same action problem!! The bass looks perfect, just the action. the strings look deep in the nut and as a result the action won't go low enough at the dusty end. Before I dabbled with these I'd owned 4 Tributes and they were perfect out of the box.

I've come to the conclusion that this is why they're cheap. Debating what to do next, any thoughts?
[/quote] Bad batch? I would email Thomann and see what they have to say mate there customer service is great. How low is low though Tom? and do these have a micro tilt like on some Fenders? But think speaking to Thomann is best cos if you fiddle with it it might void the warranty some how

Hmm... give Thomann one more chance to sort it out - then if no joy, contact G&L directly.
Or... if you can get someone to sort it out for £32, do that - you won't be out of pocket on your original investment.
Or... go to a crowded place, violently smash the bass up, set fire to the remains and send Thomann a turd in the post.

Edited by discreet

Thomann policy with me has been to offer a further discount before offering a replacement. Making the slots shallower is not rocket science ( see Youtube) but when you buy a new Bass you expect it perfect and arsing around sending stuff back to them which they then (in my case) fiddle around with for a few days before sending a replacement is quite frustrating especially when you know it's faulty and they won't take your word for it.

Discreet, I favour option 3 :lol:

Yeah done the truss rod Romeo, I have quite a bit of experience setting up basses and guitars but as Yorkie says I shouldn't have to be putting super glue in the nut slots (not my idea btw) to get it right, tilting won't do much either as there is still adjustment on the saddles.

I'll probably end up emailing them this time....

Sorry Tom, did not mean to state the obvious to a very much experienced guitar tinkerer as yourself. It simply was a revelation to me as I thought the action was pretty good but not perfect, having done the set up myself.

But I did not like the sharp fret edges so took it for that and also asked them if they can do rolled edges on the fingerboard to get that expensive Fender finish and because the neck is quite chunky so it could uncomfortable after hours of playing. Gotta say they did a great job plus they did a full set up, and damn I was really surprised how nicely even the action got all over the neck. But notably it still does not go as low as on the M2000 which it seems has smaller frets. There, my tupence ;)

Good luck with it Tom, hopefully thomann cooperate.

Hiya Meddle, every G&L I've had before these two had a low and level action from the nut to the last fret, it's the main reason for buying one for me, well apart from the versatility of it.

There is still adjustment left on the saddles albeit not much on the E & G strings, my problem is that the action starts off perfect for the first 3 frets or so and gets progressively higher all the way to the end which suggests to me that the nut is cut low?? I mostly play between the 5th & 12th frets, I've had the neck set straight as a die but it rattles if I try to get any lower which, could be down to a high fret here and there, I just don't know so I'm going to contact them to see what they can do.