Why become a member? ×

Help an old has-been!

Rumblebass

Hi all,

I retired from playing in 2008, and at that time , my main stage set up, was all EBS - TD650 head with ProLine 4 x 10 & 1 x15 cabs. Great gear & a wonderful sound. Didn't care too much that it was big & bulky & heavy as my Band had road crew so I just turned up & played. Haven't played since, & I sold all my EBS stuff, and I now have an opportunity to get back to playing again with my old Band.No road crew this time though, and as a few years have passed I'm bit out of the loop equipment wise. Looking for pointers towards a decent combo type set up, with at least a 2 x 12 set up as a minimum, lightweight, but with plenty of power (prob 350-400w minimum). Would appreciate any advice or guidance, to small yet light & powerful set ups. Is there such a thing out there these days?

Thanks

R.

Tecamp do a rather tasty looking 2x12 combo which incorporates their excellent Puma 500w amp head.

[url="http://www.tecamp.de/en/products/combos/58-puma-combo-212.html#features"]http://www.tecamp.de/en/products/combos/58-puma-combo-212.html#features[/url]

I`d def look at those Genz 212s. From there so many amps about, depends on type of sound required. Seeing as EBS was liked so much, check out the Reidmar head, it`s 250 watts but all the reviews I`ve read state how crazily loud it is. That or a GK MB500/MB Fusion 500 - again amazingly loud, and half the size & weight of a laptop.

Bergantino CN212 or 2 x CN112 cabs. Plus Tecamp Puma 900 or Streamliner 900 head.

I use the 2 x CN112 set-up and it is voiced just right for my needs. Loud, light; -3db point prob around 60 Hz so it catches the first harmonic of B and therefore goes low enough for my needs. 1 cab for quiet rehearsals and small jazz gigs and 2x12 for everything else. More volume needed than that and I get FOH support.

The Streamliner was inexpensive 2nd hand and works well with these cabs. The Tecamp I got from Thomann new - and it was expensive - £550 - but it is again well voiced with these cabs. If you have the cash and value your back, 2 x CN112 gives you a lot of modularity for total weight of 56 lbs or so. The CN212 is 46 lbs and covers what my old Flite 4x10 did.

TBH, a Streamliner 600 or Tecamp Puma 500 would probably work just as well. I just went for overkill on the headroom.

I'll be at the Voodoo Rooms later this month in Edinburgh showing what 2 x CN112 cabs can do.

Pete

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1415270494' post='2598538']
The Streamliner was inexpensive 2nd hand and works well with these cabs... TBH, a Streamliner 600 or Tecamp Puma 500 would probably work just as well. I just went for overkill on the headroom.
[/quote]

I can confirm that the Streamliner 900 has massive headroom and big slam. Niceee.

I'd suggest separates. If you get a combo you're stuck with selling the bit you might like because of the bit you don't like.

A good neo 212 cab or 2 112's and a 500 watt amp is a good place to start and will get you a great sound. . . . and get a trolley.