Why become a member? ×

Serious Question To Those Who Use A Full Stack

MindGoneBlank

I have always used a full stack of some variation (4x10 + 1x15 / 2 1x15 / 8x10) with the band I'm currently in but we are an original metal band with 2 basses and no guitars so fancy-Dan things like full PA support happen to other people. If you've got the space and the inclination then why wouldn't you go for it?

Which you already have, so kudos to you sir.

Being sensible for a moment, you can have too much for the gig... and if you are running big amps,
you'll find that the drummer is turning green and the bass is right off the back walls, so you should find
this out pretty quickly. The big amps are able to put the sound OUT there and you are going to be louder
in the room than you will be closer to the rig. This might sound great payback for the drummer but you have to be
very careful otherwise you are just running too loud. This is why the comparitively 'weedy' small amps are a better
bet for a pub.
As with all these things, you can't be oblivious to the overall effect and especially so if you have no one out front.

A full height stack doesn't take up any more floor space than a single cab would. Even the lowest ceilinged venue I've played had enough headroom for a full stack.

The upper cab is in a better position for you to actually hear it. My previous rig actually had the top cab placed on top of the rack unit with amps in which put it level with my head.

The volume control goes down as well as up. Always better to have more power that you don't need than to be struggling to be heard.

There's plenty of room for it in the band van.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415874156' post='2604656']
Being sensible for a moment, you can have too much for the gig... and if you are running big amps,
you'll find that the drummer is turning green and the bass is right off the back walls, so you should find
this out pretty quickly. The big amps are able to put the sound OUT there and you are going to be louder
in the room than you will be closer to the rig. This might sound great payback for the drummer but you have to be
very careful otherwise you are just running too loud. This is why the comparitively 'weedy' small amps are a better
bet for a pub.
As with all these things, you can't be oblivious to the overall effect and especially so if you have no one out front.
[/quote]

but this can be checked in a 2min sound check, for me there is something about a 810 that just works.

andy