Why become a member? ×

Help Me, I want to buy a bass! (And Now I have)

Mister_E

The Sandbergs are very different from Warwick basses, there's no comparison really. A Basic 5 like that shown would set you back about £700 from Thomann. That's about the same price as a used SR5 and they're every bit as good in terms of spec!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_basic5_bl.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_basic5_bl.htm[/url]

i picked up my 2 band eq second hand for £650 (though twaas a long and long ago) so you should be able to get one fairly easy though you may have to look a bit further south say to manchester or along that way, of find one that can deliver, you pretty much know what you are going to get

I think (after reading this thread several times) you should go for the MM. Beg, steal or borrow, whatever - if its the bass you crave then you should get one. I have owned a Lakland 44-01 a Stingray and a Sandberg (still got) and ALL are very good. You can get a secondhand MM5 for about 650, I nearly brought one! A few weeks of financial ruin will be diluted by having the bass YOU want. BTW most of the year is spent in financial ruin for me but thats GAS for you! :)

I have a sub 5 active.
I bought it beause I love Sngrays and wanted to check out playing 5 string.
I have never played a Stingray 5.
Sub 4's are brilliant - very like a 'Ray in most things except the body contours and the finish. Tone and dynamics are superb.
But the sub 5 seems to lose a lot in comparison.
Now maybe so does the 'Ray 5, but I have never played one so I cannot say for sure.
I have played other Sub5's and they are very consistent in this.
I have avoided playing a "real" one as I did not in general get along with the 5 string concept (very short stubby fingers and limited imagination)
And if I tried a nice 5Ray, I would probably weaken and buy it, then the wife would want another designer handbag or designer shoes to compensate and it would get very messy and extortionate for a bass I probably will not play very much!
Such is life.

[quote name='woolleydick' post='28525' date='Jul 8 2007, 10:35 AM']Or you could go for something like this:-

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/cat/product_info.php?cPath=153&products_id=1212"]http://www.basscentre.com/cat/product_info...roducts_id=1212[/url]

?[/quote]

:) f*** ME!!!! I WANT £900!!!!

Hey guys, I'm suprised folk are still posting to this thread - THANKS!!

I've really fallen for the MM Stingray 5 but I'm definitely going to make a day of going round the shops and try [b]every[/b] other flippin' bass before I part with the cash for a new one. I really like the natural finish (Like I said before; it matches my precision - which I think very cool) so I'm kind of looking for something along those lines. The £900 silver finish does look nice though.

The other part of this quest is to get my band back playing again - I need to justify the purchase of such an instrument if it's to sit in the bedroom for years to come! Just like a car the damn thing will loose value straight out of the shop which is a bummer.
Anyway...I'm glad to have had all the views and comments form you all - gets me right here (hand on chest area, wipes tear from eye). You're my best friends *sniff*

I'll let you know what I get and wether I'll be getting it tattoed on my arm as a tribute!

Hey Guys...

Thanks again for all your advice. In the end I sold my soul for the MM Stingray 5 :huh: . Big thankyou to 'SlaphappyGray' who's mate at the store helped get me a deal on it! ( he laughed when I said you told me to go to Scayles! :) )

Here's a quick crappy photo...

[attachment=1205:IMAGE_027.jpg]

THANK YOU EVEYRBODY! :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Probably the best choice, really. Even if you'd got something cheaper, you'd have been pining for it. Keep it pristine and if you can't get on with it, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it on without too much of a loss, hopefully.

I impulse bought a gorgeous sunburst SR5 last year and couldn't get on with it (and couldn't affort it!), so did the same thing.