Why become a member? ×

German Hardware

bigthumb

[quote name='peted' post='26618' date='Jul 3 2007, 06:18 PM']What a great range of sounds you've got there. Of course i'm going to be attracted to the Thumb :) I went bolt-on but the through neck is just so special.[/quote]

Ive got GAS for a BO5 thumb! I just love the ovangkol and there supposed to sound killer. To have one bubinga and one ovangkol would be sweet!

[quote name='joegarcia' post='26806' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:19 AM']I've got serious GAS for a Sandberg Basic 4 like that. How does it sound and feel? Does it compare to a Stingray at all?[/quote]

Funny you should mention that because I changed from a Stingray to the Sandberg. The feel is very nice, well constructed with a 'hand made' vibe. I was very impressed with Sandbergs when i tried several and i settled for the Basic 4 not only on the price factor (£700 new form PMT Birmingham) but also i prefer the simple layout i.e. MM pickup, bass mid treb and volume. Just like the Stingray. The Sandbergs have quite powerful outputs and are quite punchy without being over bright. The neck is slim, fast and comfortable and probably more easy to get on with than my Warwick necks tho I'm used to them now! If you are considering getting one i would definately recommend getting one from a shop here. I tried two Basics in Brum and they seemed quite different. I got on with the neck on mine better than the other one. Bugger really when Thomann do great deals on them but I'm glad i payed the extra and got the 'right one'.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='26635' date='Jul 3 2007, 06:59 PM']Ive got GAS for a BO5 thumb! I just love the ovangkol and there supposed to sound killer. To have one bubinga and one ovangkol would be sweet![/quote]
A buddy of mine here in Norwich bought a second-hand Thumb 5 NT custom which is all Ovangkol and it sounds great. I wouldn't sell my BO 4 for the world.

[quote name='peted' post='27188' date='Jul 4 2007, 09:30 PM']A buddy of mine here in Norwich bought a second-hand Thumb 5 NT custom which is all Ovangkol and it sounds great. I wouldn't sell my BO 4 for the world.[/quote]

Now that sounds custom shop to me :huh: , never seen one of them. And no I dont blame you for not wanting to sell your BO4, its great when you have a bass you love. BO Warwicks have attributes that NTs dont have and are the bass of choice of lots of Wick users. Bleached and Dirty, i believe are BO and are highly desirable basses and i will always regret not buying one when i had the opportunity :)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='27152' date='Jul 4 2007, 08:24 PM']Why do I think Warwicks look hideous? is it cause im an old git? I never see them on the box played live.[/quote]

I guess im a recent convert to Warwick bases, before i used Fender or Musicman as my main basses. I got my Thumb off ebay because it was going for a good price! I had never played one before but had always kind'a liked the look of them. Not the soundest reason to buy a bass i guess :). But i did and did not regret it.
Of course its personal preference and they may not suite a certain playing styles but i fancied something different. I think the Streamer (Spector) shape is one of the most aesthetically pleasing guitar shapes around and im sure you could be persuaded :huh:

There is a point to what Finn is saying. As the driver of a Jaguar, I now notice other jaguars and it is the same with basses.

Craig David's bassist used a very nice Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5 with a full Hartke Stack, I noticed straight away and thought "Wow, I have that rig, and I play warwick!"

Im not anywhere near as good as him though.

I play Lakland Osborne and a vintage PB, what im saying is that ive picked theup and played them in shops etc and they feel a bit "organic" thats probably not the right word but as if theyre trying a bit too hard to be cool and different, ramble over.[quote name='finnbass' post='27246' date='Jul 4 2007, 11:12 PM']Obviously they are not as endemic as Precisions, Jazzs ,Rickenbackers etc but....

If you drive a BMW you notice other BMWs. If you drive a Mercedes, you notice other Mercedes. I see loads of bass players using Warwicks, but I notice them because that's what I play. You notice people playing what you play.

What do you play?[/quote]

[quote name='finnbass' post='27661' date='Jul 5 2007, 11:02 PM']I think that's an absolutely perfect description :)

'Organic' would be the word I would use to describe the way Warwicks sound and play.

As to 'cool' and 'different'...that's subjective. Compared to half the stuff I see out there, the average Warwick looks pretty conservative to me. :huh:[/quote]

I dont really like the feel of Warwicks,and havent done for years,Just something isnt right for me...

Except for the Dolphin,ever since they stopped using solid wenge necks and 'something' happened years ago to the electronics 10+ years back?? And they did nick a Spector design for the body of one of they're models (Its now liscenced).

But they are as common as Fenders,the number of endorsee's is miles long ,and its VERY rare you see a Jools prog or a festival on TV without at least one being used (I remember the souldeep tv prog that had Warwicks outnumbering the Fenders) Its usually using corvette 5s or Thumb 6s through Hartke rigs. Metal/Jazz/Funk/Soul/Blues...Warwicks are everywhere, I think they have a good B string tone,compared to Fender (Who I dont think have cracked the 5 string sound yet,and I dont think ever will! And therefore get used by session players because they as 5+ string are more,better,adaptable to the many situations. (Another reason why I feel the 4 string is becoming obsolete)

I guarentee you have at least 3 or 4 lps in your collection that have a Warwick recorded or been used onstage by the artists Bassist. Or you could just watch more TV.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='27658' date='Jul 5 2007, 10:56 PM']I play Lakland Osborne and a vintage PB, what im saying is that ive picked theup and played them in shops etc and they feel a bit "organic" thats probably not the right word but as if theyre trying a bit too hard to be cool and different, ramble over.[/quote]

I think thats fair comment. Warwicks have a 'vibe' about them, they are a bit different and I can see how bassists might not get on with them. I would be interested
to know which ones you have tried. Thumbs and Dolphins might seem a bit 'oddball' but Vettes and Streamers are pretty user friendly both to the fingers and the eye! Insidently i used to own a Lakland and a '75 P-bass :)

Organic is exactly what I would use to describe Warwicks - I can certainly add that my Streamers have always been very "woody" and Growly, they seem to have a nice midrange growl that i just love!

I know some folk shove some Bartolini Pups and Preamp into them, but to be honest I like the sound of the Stock MEC electronics, so I dont feel the need to change.

Warwick's are an aquired taste - I am yet to find a Musicman bass I can get along with, yet ive never played a single warwick that has not felt "right" to date.

Horses for courses and all that...

[quote name='finnbass' post='27246' date='Jul 4 2007, 11:12 PM']Obviously they are not as endemic as Precisions, Jazzs ,Rickenbackers etc but....

If you drive a BMW you notice other BMWs. If you drive a Mercedes, you notice other Mercedes. I see loads of bass players using Warwicks, but I notice them because that's what I play. You notice people playing what you play.

What do you play?[/quote]

i never see ne1 playing a peavey :)

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='27829' date='Jul 6 2007, 11:11 AM']I know some folk shove some Bartolini Pups and Preamp into them, but to be honest I like the sound of the Stock MEC electronics, so I dont feel the need to change.

Warwick's are an aquired taste - I am yet to find a Musicman bass I can get along with, yet ive never played a single warwick that has not felt "right" to date.

Horses for courses and all that...[/quote]

+1 on that. Love my Thumb BO4. My Sterling doesn't get out so often because it somehow takes more effort to sound 'good'. Wouldn't sell it tho' because the Warwick is so distinctive in it's sound that it won't work on everything.

I must be [i]lucky[/i].
I seem to be able to find the good points in almost everything I play (Assuming I liked them [i]enough[/i] in the first place!) . And the longer I'm exposed to them, the more I find to like.
That said, I don't really get put off by odd aesthetics, unless the ergonomics got messed up, too.
Otherwise, the more barmy the better, as long as it plays well and the tone is good.

Yep. I've got two Warwicks;

A 1997 Streamer LX6 with an all Wenge neck and SD Basslines in it.
A 2002 Infinity SN4 with an Ovangkol neck and Zebrano body - It's got the "usual" J/JJ pick-ups.

The Streamer is a classic, shape-wise, albeit in a 6 string format.
The Infinity is a weird amalgam of Corvette and Dolphin, but is still quite conservative.