Why become a member? ×

Using an effects level to increase volume

bonzodog

This may sound like a daft question but here goes
I use a LH500 into one BC212 and am well aware this is not loud enough for a live band w/o PA support. I am currently saving for another BC212.
However at last gig i started using my Hartke attack pedal, got a lovely sound that I wanted but was amazed at how much louder I was when I increased the level on the attack pedal leaving the LH500 at about 10 0 clock. So much so that I was easily heard in the mix.
The amp wasn't clipping and no distortion from the cab but I am not sure if this is the best way to get heard in the mix. Am I doing any damage to amp or cab having the pedal on all the time at this high level?

I regularly use a pedal as a preamp. It's OK to do this if you're not obviously clipping the input on your amp grossly, and the cab isn't stressed and is farting and rattling away. But you say not, so... generally speaking, if it sounds OK then it's usually OK. :)

I'm assuming you're in a loud band, as a 500W amp with a 212 (even at 8ohms) would usually be enough.

Edited by discreet

Maybe your bass guitar doesn't have that high a signal coming from the pickup(s)? Is it a passive or active bass and are you putting it into the right input jack on the amp? I notice the LH500 doesn't have an input gain control so in a way your pedal is making up for that. As 'discreet' says, if everything sounds sweet then you should be fine.

I hear the LH500 has a tube pre, but it is very clean - which suggests it's not that high gain. So if you boost into it, you might start to add a little bit of tube compression and distortion as well as volume, which sounds like a good thing, as long as you don't boost it to the point where it sounds nasty.

You won't damage the amp like this, it's hard to say about the speaker but probably not - what is the cab rated for and how many ohms is it?

I don't like the idea of upping the input level like this.
If you are using a bass with output that is low..then ok..it is just a
mild boost, but if you are trying to get much more volume than it was designed for,
then you could be overloading the input and output stages and if you get away from clean
sounding bass, then it is harder to hear components struggling, particuarly speakers.

So, I'd say...don't expect or go after too much of a boost. If you rig is too quiet, either
get pokier pickups, a better bass, and better rig, fit for the purpose...??

if you cant hear anything obviously wrong then your fine, also as you said you not clipping the input then you arent putting in to hot of a signal.

another thing to think about is that your hartke pedal could be adding a bit of eq to the signal say a mid boost and this could be the volume increase your hearing,

andy

Cool cheers
I agree my wilkinson pickups are great. I just mentioned them as someone suggested the pups might be the problem.
Im still intending on getting another BC212 when one hopefully comes up on here but I was just surprised how much clean boost in volume I got from the pedal