Why become a member? ×

My first gig at 39....jinxed!

Thunderpaws

So, had a post a couple of months back proclaiming my happiness at the first gig for our new band and my first real gig ever.

Long story short, that one fell due to issues between the venue and the promotor.

Roll on a month and we get another gig lined up for this weekend 18th Oct and another in December for our album launch night.

So, what happens this week. Drummer admitted to hospital with heart concerns and guitarist breaks his wrist playing fives.

Obviously, main concern is health of my buddies. However, gutted at definite cancellation of first two gigs and definite postponement of third gig!

Anyone else had sh*t luck like this?

I'm not going to lie, getting into gigging at 39 is not going to be easy. It's not easy at 29 or 19. Finding a solid and stable band with gigs is hard.

Don't give up, stay out there, look at all opportunities not just the perfect opportunities.Above all be prepared when something comes up.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1412720917' post='2571462']
Don't give up, stay out there, look at all opportunities not just the perfect opportunities.Above all be prepared when something comes up.

Blue
[/quote]
See, this is what I think Americans do well. Not saying there aren't Brits like this too but it's the cultural outlook that I think they get right

Our drummer was admitted to hospital with heart concerns earlier in the year, then I broke my arm......your not our guitarist in disguise are you? No you can't be you didn't mention your singer being seconded to Japan for three months taking us out until Christmas.

It's ok we already have 24 gigs booked in for next year.

Don't worry you will get gigging in the end

Yeah. Positivity abounding around here. That is what I wanted to hear! Especially that there is another band in exactly the same state as us...what're the chances?

We will keep writing for the second album and get some mixing done. Looking forward to that, plus designing the artwork is my job so I have sometjing positive to do there too.....was just looking forward to gigging.

My first ever gig (age 17) was less than one tune long. Despite it being a legitimate booking, the venue was empty and, half way through the first tune, the barman said ' turn it down'. The guitarist and bandleader, a cantankerous bloke at the best of time, just said 'F*ck this' and closed the gig down. I was heartbroken as you can imagine but we only had about three days to wait for the next one which was a success.

Your day will come.

Our gig last Saturday, my first home town show in a couple of decades, got cancelled two hours before load in.

We'd got a good crowd lined up to come and us (me) and we're really looking forward to it.

The promoter emailed us to tell us the show was cancelled as the pub was closed and not to bother turning up.

After some jibes about how our reputation had preceded us and the landlord had locked the doors so we couldn't play there we eventually got to the bottom of it. The police had been in there on the Friday night and had closed (permanently) the pub down due to licencing irregularities!