Why become a member? ×

Help!...how to make a sound sample.

alembic1989

What's the problem? Recording them in the first place or finding somewhere to host them on the internet?

TBH I never bother with sound samples as all they show is how the bass sounds when the person selling it plays it through their rig/recording set up. I know from personal experience that it will sound nothing like that when I play through my rig.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1411723037' post='2562221']

TBH I never bother with sound samples as all they show is how the bass sounds when the person selling it plays it through their rig/recording set up. I know from personal experience that it will sound nothing like that when I play through my rig.
[/quote]

Agreed but if people ask, then it's better to be obliging.

Have you got any recording gear?
Garage band?Pro Tools? A Line 6 pod of some kind?
If not, then one way of doing it, that is probably most accessible, is to actually film yourself on your phone.
I know this isnt ideal, as the speakers wont carry the full spectrum of sound, but like has been said, its only going to sound like your rig anyway.
Maybe if he just wants to hear it in action, this will do?

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1411728740' post='2562299']
I need to know how to record one...with a view to e-mailing it to the interested party.....
I've a sale on the line....and I've been asked to oblige....otherwise I could blow the deal.
[/quote]

But IMO a poor recording both from a playing and/or sound PoV could harm the sale more than no recording at all.

Because you are asking the question, I'm assuming that you don't have any easy access to recording hardware. What computer do you have? Personally I wouldn't even begin to bother with a phone recording. Unless you have plenty of recording experience with LoFi devices or you are extremely lucky, the best you'll get is proof that the bass makes a sound when you play it.

Do you have any proper studio band recordings where you are playing the bass in question? That to me is the best demonstration of an instrument - that it can find it's perfect place in a band mix. (After all isn't that what we really want out of a bass?)

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='alembic1989' timestamp='1411722369' post='2562203']
i keep getting asked for sound samples when selling/ trading basses...li don't know how.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Let's assume that...

1 - The OP knows how to play a bass (see CD links...)
2 - Recording, as a concept, is understood
3 - There's enough trade going on to justify wanting to learn this (hence the question..?)

With this as a starting premise, I'd also assume that a computer is available, and that some kind of DAW can be used (Garageband for Mac, Reaper for PC..?)

A decent USB interface would be needed, as recording using a mic into a computer is (usually...) not of reasonable quality. Such an interface can be as humble as a 1/4" jack-USB cable (Alesis..? There are others...), which is inexpensive and will do the job. More flexible would be an unit such as Focusrite (others are available...), which allow more control over the input, including use of a mic.
Once the recording is made, and 'polished' using the DAW, it can be finalised as an MP3 file (for instance; other formats are common, too...) and sent either sent directly to the requester or hosted in the 'cloud' using Soundcloud, a free hosting service (other hosts are available...). A link is then sent to the requester.
As to what to play, it may be useful to illustrate several styles, and use different p/us or tonalities, depending on the bass's options. A verbal commentary can be of use, in that case.
Hope this helps..

Edited by Dad3353

Bass on a phone sounds awful. You'll need an audio interface & a computer (doesn't need to be a good computer), audio interfaces normally come with the software required - I'd recommend the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (I have one & it does everything I need). Then you con export to mp3 & either email the files or upload to soundcloud.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1411795881' post='2562844']
What's DAW?
[/quote]

[b]D[/b]igital [b]A[/b]udio [b]W[/b]orkstation = software for recording tracks on a computer (Cubase, Protools, Reaper, Garageband; there are many others...), usually in conjunction with an interface, more or less sophisticated, for plugging mics and guitars into said computer.

Edited by Dad3353